Cuban calls LeBron's The Decision "the largest public humiliation in the history of sports"

Sep 15, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for cuban.jpgMark Cuban joined the “it’s not what he did it’s how he did it” chorus against LeBron James in his typically Cuban, bombastic way.

He went on the Dunham and Miller Show on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas Wednesday morning, and the Dallas Morning News has the transcript.

“LeBron has every right to go wherever and do whatever, whatever team he wants to,” Cuban said. “Going to the Heat was his choice, those guys working together. I don’t even have a problem with the three of them working together, as long as they follow all of the NBA rules, which I think they did.

“Where I think LeBron made a mistake, was in how he did it. I don’t even have a problem that he had the TV show. But it turned out to be the largest public humiliation in the history of sports. He humiliated the organization; he humiliated the state of Ohio, the city of Cleveland. All of a sudden he became a bad guy, he lost a billion dollars in brand equity, give or take a couple bucks here or there. … ‘

“I told his folks that I think he got bad advice. It’s not about ‘Can he move?’ He can move, he can play for any team. I think he picked the wrong team (chuckles). There’s a team in Dallas that could have used him and that would have been better served but it’s his choice. But the way he did it I thought was just a huge mistake.”

Cuban said it, but you can be sure an army of NBA officials have been thinking it.

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Anonymous - Sep 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I’m with you. Cuban would make the Dodgers winners again. Think of the Mavs before he bought them.

2. NBA Fan !!! - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Tina! You are so right this cleveland fans have to let it go, LBJ wants to win and Cuban never try to better the cavalier’s. He put all the money in his pockets to show how popular he think he is.. I call that the crying franchise…..

3. timeis$$$ - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

It is funny how people have so much to say about Lebron James. He had every right to flee cleveland. This first point is to the true basketball fan- Did you truly see Lebron winning a championship in Cleveland? He had a bunch of “regular” season all stars.True basketball fans do not need me to go into detail. Second point- the only person Lebron James plays 2nd fiddle to in the NBA is Kobe Bryant.Once again true basketball fans do not need me to go into detail. Third point, we all heard the rumors of his mother and Delonte “Deseperado” West. Which person on this site feel they could truly return to their place of work and everyone of knew your mother was sleeping with a co-worker? And the whole office knew about it and not one person stepped up to tell you or stepped to that co-worker.People be honest with yourself. Get past the hate. Oh and all you Barkley fans, you know if Jordan or Magic would have recruited Barkley to come play with them he would have ran there.There are only 3 players in that era that can honestly say they wouldnt bolt to another team. Jordan,Magic and Bird.

4. Old Red - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I, too, am a devoted sports fan, but I totally disagree with most of what you said. LeBron DID owe Cleveland more respect that he gave them. If all that matters in this world is how much money you can make then it is time for the Big Asteroid to come and take us out. The level of greed in this country has grown beyond all reason. Sure LeBron can play any where he wants, but why the need to disgrace and humiliate the city that has given him so much adulation and support for his first seven years. His laying down in the playoffs once he knew he was leaving was totally bush. I don’t wish him any ill will, but I do pity his shallow and naive view of life.

5. LET'S GO HEAT - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I agree..nobody wants to give the man credit for all the positive things LeBron has done for the city of cleveland especially for the kids..the game of basketball is for entertainment purpose only!!this is not an political debate on cnn..It’s not that serious you guys;and some of you men need to get”LAID”.Mr Cuban! LeBron knows he can go to any team he wants and that’s why he chose the “MIAMI HEAT”.
    LET’S GO HEAT!!!WELCOME TO MIAMI MR.JAMES..

6. lisa - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Was I the only person on this planet who saw Koebe Bryant and his team mates quit playing when the Celtics beat LA for the championship in,lets just pick a year, 2008? What happened in Cleveland was no where near as embarassing as that. Get your panties out the crack of your ass and leave Lebron alone. You piss ant haters are all over LeBron but I haven’t heard a peep out of anyone about the way the organization fired coach, what’s his name, oh Brown just one week after they lost. One good turn deserves another. Now run and tell that and this time get the facts straight. Cuban, have another drink or better yet snort some more of that cocaine that has your ass acting all crazy on national tv.

7. Jeff - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM

lol u want tina to get back in the kitchen. as a guy i have to ask, do u try to make urself sound like an ignorant hick stuck in the 50’s or does it just come out naturally. at least if ur going to try to make a point, actually have a point. and the fact that he took LESS money just shows his lack of selfish behavior. he’s doing it for the love of the game and winning like fans always claim they want from athletes. and get a life? lol, sounds like u need to get a life bad to get that uptight and ignorant over a simple comment.

8. Anonymous - Sep 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Tina, I agree with you 100% well said, Lebron played out his contract so owership should have realize that there was a possibility he would not return. He wanted to stay in Cleveland if they could have gotten Bosh to come there. But no superstar wanterd to play in Cleveland. He put the CAVs on the map and on the national spotlight, now they are just another sorry team who will struggle to make the playoffs. Reminds me of another Hall of Famer who left Cleveland and went to Miami- Paul Warfield. All you haters will be the ones tuning in to watch him turn out in Miami.

9. demetrius - Sep 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM

MARK CUBAN is mad he could not CASH in on this L.J. sslyituation!!!!!!!!!! Obviously its not about the money its about the RINGS you HATER!!!!!!!!! HATE IS THOUGHT SO WE KNOW WHEN HATERS ARE TEACHING IT TO OTHERS SO HATE ON MR. CUBAN!!!!!!!!!!

10. Eric - Sep 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM

God Bless Lebron and his abilities as a basketball player and business man. Being a valuable employee gives you options to choose whats best for him and his family. Sorry for those who don’t understand that being a productive player gives you favor by many teams. To those whiny people who are upset, Man-Up. Nothing is fair in life and the Owner was no Saint. Owners let players go every season, but I don’t hear people whining about that. Lebron used the t.v. to make his decision, so what!! Stop crying and grow up. How would you feel if Lebron said, you couldn’t leave your job for more money because society wants you there? I know what you would say, the heck with society. My decision is going to be based on my life. Again people stop whining and Man-Up. Email me I’ll send you some tissues.

11. lostprophet - Sep 17, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Kobe left the international seen to allow younger players to play. He is a true leader and was on the FIBA 2007 Gold Medal team, and the 2008 Gold Medal Olympic team. Get your facts straight!

12. Kim - Sep 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Agreed! Lebron certainly can make his own decisions and play wherever he wants. What was so bad about all this, was 1) the way he lead the city of Cleveland and all of Ohio’s residents on, 2) the ridiculous one hour special on “his decision,” 3) and his continuous self-proclamation that HE is going to win a title. Someone needs to inform Mr. James that like many sports, basketball is a team sport. Win as a team, lose as a team. Mark Cuban is right on with his comments.
    Kim

13. Anonymous - Sep 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Wow…

14. teamplayer - Sep 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Not a fan of Cuban, but verfy well put. I think Lebron should have gone to NY, but we don’t want him.

15. Barry - Sep 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I rushed in to trash Mark Cuban, but his take on this was balanced and with good humor!!!
    He has good memories or nightmare about the HEAT from 2006 and that DIRK loves SOBE during the Summer2010 madness!!
    I’ll take a rain check this time.
    Good luck Mark, try again next year.

16. Marc - Sep 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

either type slower or learn the language and how to speak. You are entitled to your opinion but if I spoke like you, I’d keep it to myself!

17. warmsocks - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I live in Seattle.
    Who is La Bron James anyway?
    Where the heck is Cleveland?
    This is much to do about nothing.
    KOBE rules in LA and everyplace else.
    The Laker’s are a great team with a super owner, superb coach and talented, skilled, experienced players. As well as great chemistry and a winner’s attitude. What a combination! Afterall it’s a team sport. Each team has 5 players.
    Sure!
    LBJ is semi-skilled and may get better if he doesn’t get hurt.
    First of all – he had better grow up, get his mind in order and develop a winner’s attitude.
    And I like that old man – Shaq too!
    There are so many basketball players out there just as talented as JB James. And many far more gifted and talented.
    Once a Sonic’s fan.

18. saveahoe11 - Sep 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You have to be the biggest idiot I ever heard. Way to be a mentally lazy person and come up with the great take that people are “hating” There is not an easier way to show how mentally incapable of original thought you are than by throwing around the “hater” card. Your a loser

19. alan - Sep 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Striker,
    Your comment on LeBron having the maturity level of a high school kid is totally a bunch of BS. LeBron is very mature for his age, even during his first season with the Cavs.
    He had good intentions on announcing it on a show – that being all the proceeds went to the “Boys and Girls Clubs of America” – but gave little consideration for the feelings of the team that supported him and fans that loved him through the years. It was a huge mistake. He not only “burned bridges”, he tore up roads and houses on his way out of Cleveland.

20. alan - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM

LeBron, “semi-skilled”? What a joke. You obviously DO NOT KNOW A THING ABOUT BASKETBALL. Lebron has Michael Jordan type statistics even without the benefit of playing four years of college ball and you are calling him “semi-skilled. That’s the most idiotic thing I have read in months. Congratulations.
    LeBron would have won several championships if he had a better supporting cast in Cleveland. If Gasol was his center, he definitely would have won, like Kobe. Kobe would have lost the championship with out Gasol, no doubt about it!

21. MIKE1361 - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:33 AM

HINDSIGHT IS 20/20 ….. LEBRON WAS WRONG TO DO THE ESPN SPECIAL …. HE SHOULD HAVE HAD A PRIVATE MEETING WITH OWNER OF CLEVELAND TEAM AND SAID HE WAS LEAVING …. THEN, A PHONE CALL TO RILEY …. THEN A PRESS CONFERENCE

22. weezilgirl - Sep 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM

I love Mark Cuban. I was thrilled when he bought the Mavericks. I love his big mouth (because he is usually right) but I am going to disagree with him on this one.
    Michael Vick should have the title of being the “the largest public humiliation in the history of sports”. Michael Vick is a grown man. He spent YEARS torturing, abusing and killing dogs.
    LeBron James went about his move in the wrong way but he didn’t hurt anyone or anything…..anything living. He is a kid. What LeBron did wasn’t spread out over years and years. I’ve never heard that LeBron has had to pee in a cup…after a violation of the law. And he hasn’t been to prison for gambling.
    You guys can hate on me or agree with me. Like I said I think Mark Cuban is better than sliced bread, air conditioning, coconut cream pie and cornbread but I do disagree this ONE time.

23. Harry W. Henry - Sep 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Mark Dufus is just parroting what has already been said by many times by different sports and big time sports analyst. Lebron James nor Miami Heat and their fans cared for the pains and humiliation of others. And they shouldn’t be! This is a competitive sports business and the NBA, the Owners and Fans know that the most important thing here is satisfying your regular fan base. Its nice to be adored and followed by every NBA fans in every city but these is not a REALITY! You wouldn’t see a whole lot of HEAT fans in LosAngeles, New York or Dallas as there’s not a whole lot of Maverick crazies in Houston or San Antonio. But the reality is that we basketball fans are still going to be suckered into buying a HEAT game tickets when they visit our nearest NBA city. Common those that say…I would never watch those HEAT when they visit my town, are just plain stupid. It’s sports entertainment baby! and if I’m buying a ticket that would justify the biggest bang for my bucks these next few years NBA wise; the HEAT game against my team would be it! SO Mark Dufus’s comment about Lebron does not merit him a Harvard honorary degree (not even Associate or a Certificate). He then followed it up by insisting that his Mavericks somehow matters and would have done something with Lebron in their line-up. The Mavericks always sucked in the NBA and will continue on with that. Sorry Dallas….. enjoy the Cowboys but basketball; NBA basketball just quit dreaming about being champion ever!

24. Anonymous - Sep 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The people on here arguing that LeBron is his own man, can do what he wants are IGNORANT!
    We aren’t arguing that, OF COURSE HE CAN!!!
    Cuban is just saying that LeBron’s ‘The Decision’ was nothing more than a public slap in the face, a public humiliation of Cleveland.
    Frankly, I don’t agree with Cuban much, but in this case he is 110% right on!

25. Ted - Sep 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I don’t even care about the “humiliation”.
    The absolutely unforgivable part to me is making us wait so long to know, and thus having zero chance of picking up any other good free agents. Not that I’m even sure we would have been able to sign anybody worthwhile (who in the hell wants to play in Cleveland without LeBron), but you HAVE to give us a CHANCE to try and sign somebody else big to replace him…by the time he “let us know”, most of the big names were already snatched up.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches