Cuban calls LeBron's The Decision "the largest public humiliation in the history of sports"

Sep 15, 2010, 3:59 PM EST

Thumbnail image for cuban.jpgMark Cuban joined the “it’s not what he did it’s how he did it” chorus against LeBron James in his typically Cuban, bombastic way.

He went on the Dunham and Miller Show on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas Wednesday morning, and the Dallas Morning News has the transcript.

“LeBron has every right to go wherever and do whatever, whatever team he wants to,” Cuban said. “Going to the Heat was his choice, those guys working together. I don’t even have a problem with the three of them working together, as long as they follow all of the NBA rules, which I think they did.

“Where I think LeBron made a mistake, was in how he did it. I don’t even have a problem that he had the TV show. But it turned out to be the largest public humiliation in the history of sports. He humiliated the organization; he humiliated the state of Ohio, the city of Cleveland. All of a sudden he became a bad guy, he lost a billion dollars in brand equity, give or take a couple bucks here or there. … ‘

“I told his folks that I think he got bad advice. It’s not about ‘Can he move?’ He can move, he can play for any team. I think he picked the wrong team (chuckles). There’s a team in Dallas that could have used him and that would have been better served but it’s his choice. But the way he did it I thought was just a huge mistake.”

Cuban said it, but you can be sure an army of NBA officials have been thinking it.

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. the foo Dave - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Wise words from a wise man!

2. David - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Not a fan of Mr. Cuban, but im with his words 100% this time.

3. Bill - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

What took him so long. That was months ago.

4. clone - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Hey Mark-Buy the Dodgers por favor!

5. MWC - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Mark Cuban is by far the smartest and most intelligent person in the entire NBA.

6. Striker - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Not a fan myself of Cuban, but aptly said and my sentiments exactly. What does one expect from LBJ anyway? He is a man-child. His maturity level is still that of a high school kid. Goes the same way with his friends from high school that still surround him.

7. cubanwho? - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Somebody check for ice and frost in hell…I think I am in the dangerous position of possibly agreeing with Cuban.

8. cubanwho? - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM

what’s next? capitalism in cuba?

9. Michael - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM

This is America. LBJ has the right to do as he pleases. However the manner in which he let his team and fans down with his non-performance against Boston was a complete disgrace. Great athletes want to win at all costs. I will never forget the look on his face, which in my mind said- No mas. It is not possible to respect an athlete who tanks games and behaves like the spoiled brat he is.

10. pdbro - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Bill,
    I was listening this morning (I’m in Dallas) to this interview, which was fantastic overall, as is the norm with his interviews since he is always 100% candid and real. It only came up because The Dunham and Miller had not spoken with Mark since prior to The Decision. So, they wanted his thoughts on the matter. It really only lasted a minute or two before they moved on to investment talk.
    It’s hard to disagree with the man. I was curious as to how long it would take for word to spread about this. Now, back to something more interesting like the SVG v. Riley cage match.

11. DavesNotHere - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM

One wealthy egomaniac criticizing another wealthy egomaniac
    Big yawn.

12. fx1718 - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM

As a Cubs fan I’m sad every day I think how Cuban isn’t our new owner. Instead we got a new lame duck owner in the Ricketts. You can see why Dirk is so loyal.

13. Rich - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM

While Mr. Cuban articulates a self serving message, and makes
    very good points, the bottom line is Lebron James is his own man,
    who possess a gold given talent, a self driven ability and heart,
    and chose his way to deliver his message. Le Bron James, is a
    sports talent that any team wishes he was part of. I am sure LeBron doesn’t need any advise, direction from any of us who view him as an outstanding, who does and outstanding job of entertaining
    all sports fans. Good Luck LeBron, you can be pleased you did things your way, and you don’t owe any of us anything other a good
    show when you play. You did us Proud on winning the Olympic Medal,
    thanks for representig te US well. A devoted, long term sports
    fan.

14. chris corbray - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM

For an owner who has ‘broken’ many “rules” in the NBA and has been fined multiple times by the NBA has some nerve giving advice or an opinion on a player, or anyone for that matter is a joke.
    Some of Cuban’s antics such as yelling at refs from behind team bench, talking trash about an opponents team mom, going into the locker room at half time in the oppossing teams locker to chastise them, walking onto the court during a live game, and many others things to long too list.
    He’s the bad guy….worse than any player could ever be.

15. worldbfree4me - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM

The initial comments made by the owner of the Cavs owner after LeBrons departure was announced were despicable, and let us not forget that Mark concurred 100% with what was written. For Mark to come out yet again on this old issue is not cool from this fans point of view. Some of the aforementioned commenter’s are quoted as saying Mark is the smartest and wisest owner in the land. Really? How many Trophies do the Mavs have in their Trophy case? This kind of owner mentality reminds me of the dark days of America past.. Akin to the “Jockey Syndrome.”
    Jockey Syndrome reinforces the plantation power dynamic, whereby money does not necessarily alter one’s status as “slave,” as long as the “owner” is the one who controls the rules that allow money to be made.
    These players are no more than a bunch of Millionaire Slaves, Jesse Jackson had it right!!

16. hithereitsme - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

What’s “bombastic” about these comments? Cuban just said what many others have said and what has become conventional wisdom: LeBron’s “Decision” was poorly handled, and his treatment of Cleveland was disgraceful.

17. tbs - Sep 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Let me help your post out a little:
    While Mr. Cuban articulates a self[hyphen] serving message, and makes very good points, the bottom line is Lebron James is his own man, ho possess a gold given [God-given] talent, a self[hyphen]driven ability and heart,and chose his way to deliver his message. Le Bron James, is a sports talent [with no rings in 7 years] that any team wishes he was part of. I am sure LeBron doesn’t need any advise [advice], direction from any of us who view him as an outstanding, who does and outstanding job of entertaining all sports fans. [I was very entertained by his refusal to shake hands with Orlando and then choking against the Celtics.] Good Luck LeBron, you can be pleased you did things your way, and you don’t owe any of us anything other a good show when you play. [And we’d like to know more about your “mental notes.”] You did us Proud on winning the Olympic Medal [riding Kobe’s coattails while announcing that you were the self-proclaimed “Leader”] thanks for representig [representing] te [the] US well. [If you call being a chest-pounding narcissist representing the US well.] A devoted, long term sports fan.

18. ScottieDoesn'tKnow - Sep 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Mark Cuban is 100% right about Bron-Bron.
    Why would someone with as much pure talent as Bron-Bron willingly play 2nd fiddle to anyone? Enjoy the plastic rings you may or may not get with the heat Bron-Bron. Too bad you will now always be known as Pippen Junior.

19. D-Mack - Sep 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Lebron will make up that lost money in jersey sales, which will be the #1 jersey in sales this season.
    Hey, Cuban. The biggest public humiliation in sports was when your Mavs and Dirk Nowitzki lost to the Warriors in the 1st round in the playoffs and they were supposed to be the favorite going in.
    If Lebron had said he was coming to Big D, Cuban would have booked that celebration at Cowboys Stadium and broadcast it on HDNet

20. tggobucks - Sep 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Lebron…how is the elbow ?

21. Rick - Sep 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Are you sure you aren’t L James mother? Or do you carry his “bag” for him? Yuck so much pure sweetness I almost got sick. No one has disagreed that he had a right to go where ever he wanted. LBJ gave up big time, then decided to leave for lack of support, I wonder why????

22. N-Lim - Sep 15, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I’ve never been a fan of Lebron, an this incident only confirms it. As a player you have every right to pick your next team to play for, how money and “pick” the players to come help you, I have no problem with any of that after all isn’t that what GM’s do?
    But I do feel bad for the Fans and the owner of Calvs. they were given no R-E-S-P-E-C-T WHAT SO EVER! Lebron could have easly told the owner “listen i’ve been here 6 years, I’m sorry i didn’t win you a ring, i just need to start fresh somewhere else and then hold a news conferrence and tell the Fan’s what you about to do. Left CLEVELAND, OHIO the way he did is simply wrong. Hell I give my employor 2 weeks notice before i Quit why can Lebron. is it because I’m a better Man

23. Lean6 - Sep 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I don’t know…after the Cavs owner came out and threw his classless hissy fit, and the likelihood that Lebron’s teammates were pulling a train on Lebron’s mom, i’m thinking he knew fully well what he was doing making the announcement the way he did. I knew he was outta there well before the announcement. They probably treated him like the dumb kid straight out of high school over there.

24. gkg - Sep 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Two things have become clear after James said he was taking his talents to South Beach.
    1. Cleveland fans are dumber than a box of rocks.
    2. The NBA is playing up the LeBron James move to Miami to sell more tickets.

25. vette78man - Sep 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Many folks here in Cleveland saw the real, cheap, self-centered, ego maniacal LBJ during the past 7 years, but folks looked the other way hoping he’d stay (contrary to many, not everyone here in Cleveland were LBJ fans). It’ll be interesting to see if he gets the same kid glove treatment from the fans, establishment and especially the media in his new digs.

1 2 3 5

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches