Cuban calls LeBron's The Decision "the largest public humiliation in the history of sports"

Sep 15, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for cuban.jpgMark Cuban joined the “it’s not what he did it’s how he did it” chorus against LeBron James in his typically Cuban, bombastic way.

He went on the Dunham and Miller Show on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas Wednesday morning, and the Dallas Morning News has the transcript.

“LeBron has every right to go wherever and do whatever, whatever team he wants to,” Cuban said. “Going to the Heat was his choice, those guys working together. I don’t even have a problem with the three of them working together, as long as they follow all of the NBA rules, which I think they did.

“Where I think LeBron made a mistake, was in how he did it. I don’t even have a problem that he had the TV show. But it turned out to be the largest public humiliation in the history of sports. He humiliated the organization; he humiliated the state of Ohio, the city of Cleveland. All of a sudden he became a bad guy, he lost a billion dollars in brand equity, give or take a couple bucks here or there. … ‘

“I told his folks that I think he got bad advice. It’s not about ‘Can he move?’ He can move, he can play for any team. I think he picked the wrong team (chuckles). There’s a team in Dallas that could have used him and that would have been better served but it’s his choice. But the way he did it I thought was just a huge mistake.”

Cuban said it, but you can be sure an army of NBA officials have been thinking it.

117 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Anonymous - Sep 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Lebron is an idiot

2. There is way too much venom about LBJ - Sep 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM

This is slowly becoming a sickness…some people are just milking this thing, like Lebron dissed their Mom.
    If this was Brett Favre pulling one of his many antics I don’t think anyone would be this outspoken. Of course, the dumb negro needs to be more mindful of his place, of not embarrassing a a major league franchise.
    yeah, ok Cuban, and the rest of you. I don’t even like Lebron, Cant stand the heat, but I hope that they win next year….just so some of my fellow “Americans” can choke on it.

3. ELjefe - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I bet he cares what you thing

4. Train2011 - Sep 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Now I know why Cleveland is cleveland. I don’t feel sorry for the organization or fans. For many years, LeBron brought pride to the city when there was none. Cleveland and fans, stand up on your own two feet instead of wishing you can continue to ride LeBron’s Coattails.
    As many times as Mark Cuban has humiliated himself and the NBA, his words rings hollow. Get a reality check and get over it!

5. BadBozo - Sep 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM

The real story here behind the scenes as usual, is Riley, the puppet master. He doesn’t give two cents about the rest of the league. He wants to win baby!!!
    I think LeBron must have really hosed up his arm worse than anyone knows. Not good in a conference with some big hooligans out and about. Hope it heals up though before the season.

6. BadBozo - Sep 30, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Cuban is saying this because, as much of a rebel as you all seem to think he is, he’s just saying what the other owners and Stern are thinking. That that stupid WWF like circus took the value of every franchise down. Alienate fans nationwide, and you decrease revenue across the board. It makes marketing quite a bit tougher I suspect. Whatever, Stern does stupid crap all the time that humiliates the league and loses fans. Just wait for the lockout debacle.
    So Cuban, shut the F@#$# up until you win something and don’t keep trying to buy a championship only to get douched out to the playoffs in disgrace. You are like a quasi-successful Donald Sterling, just not as honest about the team as your ongoing party.
    However, playing for the Cavs had to be a death within life, and if the comments that jackass owner made are any indication, it had to be a joke there. Probably LeBron is holding back a lot and being cool about whatever was going on in the front office there. Also, it’s freezing ass cold there in the winter. So if I was super rich, I guess my first choice for a winter home would be Cleveland? Perhaps not.

7. J.Lander - Sep 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I agree “The king has no clothes”

8. JDog - Sep 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM

So what you are saying is that it would have been fine if he would have joined the Mavericks. Hypocrite. The fact is that Lebron raised 3 million dollars from that TV event and all of it went to the Boys and Girls Club. Why don’t you go tell all the children he helped with that money that it was a bad idea and he shouldn’t have done it. Maybe stop thinking about yourself for once and appreciate the fact that he helped out thousands of children by doing what he did. The Cavs organization got what they deserved. If they had placed any real talent around James, he would have stayed. Instead they just got a few “has-beens” and tried to make Lebron do it all. Lebron knew he couldn’t have consistent success when he had to put up a triple-double every night in order for Cleveland to win a championship. That’s unrealistic for anyone, even Jordan.

9. Killer Keller - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Mature, immature, stupid, humiliated….whatever.
    The most important adjective(?)………RICH !!!!!
    Who gives a ratz a$$ what anybody has to say when you’re getting PAID!!!!!
    Put your nutz where your mouthz are and stop watching if what he did botherz you so much.IDIOTZ.
    I’m a Laker man, have no problem with what any of them do. Just throw the damn ball up and letz get at it. All of this other crap is Bull$hit!!!
    Play Ball!!!!!!

10. badam - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM

nice words from a rich jewish guy

11. badam - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM

nice words from a rich jewish guy

12. badam - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM

words of wisdom from a filthy rich jewish man

13. Chuck - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Lebron was in Cleveland for 7 years. That had to be painful. Shaq left Orlando (no national ignorance demonstrated by the city), Kareem left Milwaukee (who wants to live there), Carter, Bosh, and others left Toronto (who wants to live in Canada). Stoudamire left Phoenix (everyone knows Phoenix has issues).
    Lebron gave Cleveland too much. He can stay in Cleveland and be another Kevin Garnett (frustrations in Minnesota) or learn from KG’s mistake. It does not matter how Lebron left Cleveland. The people who live in Cleveland would have behaved the same. People of Cleveland, you may not be racist, but your behavior is very racist and disrespectful. Thank God Lebron’s (not-so-smart)handlers advised him to leave. The Lebron’s handlers may have exposed the city.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches