Sep 15, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
Mark Cuban joined the “it’s not what he did it’s how he did it” chorus against LeBron James in his typically Cuban, bombastic way.
He went on the Dunham and Miller Show on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas Wednesday morning, and the Dallas Morning News has the transcript.
“LeBron has every right to go wherever and do whatever, whatever team he wants to,” Cuban said. “Going to the Heat was his choice, those guys working together. I don’t even have a problem with the three of them working together, as long as they follow all of the NBA rules, which I think they did.
“Where I think LeBron made a mistake, was in how he did it. I don’t even have a problem that he had the TV show. But it turned out to be the largest public humiliation in the history of sports. He humiliated the organization; he humiliated the state of Ohio, the city of Cleveland. All of a sudden he became a bad guy, he lost a billion dollars in brand equity, give or take a couple bucks here or there. … ‘
“I told his folks that I think he got bad advice. It’s not about ‘Can he move?’ He can move, he can play for any team. I think he picked the wrong team (chuckles). There’s a team in Dallas that could have used him and that would have been better served but it’s his choice. But the way he did it I thought was just a huge mistake.”
Cuban said it, but you can be sure an army of NBA officials have been thinking it.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 13
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 5
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22