Sep 14, 2010, 3:38 PM EDT
I’ve lost count of how many centers the Miami Heat have under contract. Roughly the size of the Orc army in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, by my guess. But I could be off by a few.
But they might add one more — Erick Dampier. The Miami Herald was doing a little speculating.
Sure, the Heat has about 28 feet of bodies committed to the center spot in the likes of 7-3 Zydrunas Ilgauskas, 6-9 Joel Anthony, 6-11 Jamaal Magloire and 6-10 Dexter Pittman. Each has either unique size or gifts. None is close to being the complete package that would make him the clear-cut anchor at the position.
Monday was the first day the Bobcats could look at trades for Dampier. He has a non-garunteed $13 million contract, one that can be waived and you save a lot of money. The Bobcats want some value for that, but if nothing else they will waive him to save money. One way or another, he is going to become a free agent in the coming weeks.
If there is one thing Pat Riley does, it’s find value in that market.
Is Dampier that much better than what the Heat currently have on the roster? Well, yes. Which says plenty about what they have. Anthony has shot blocking skills but is undersized for the five. Big Z has a midrange game but is not fleet of foot. It gets worse from there.
Frankly, Bosh is going to end up playing plenty at the five this season, and many nights that will be fine. But by the playoffs the Heat need to be able to counter when they run into Dwight Howard or the two O’Neals and Perkins in Boston or Andrew Bynum in Los Angeles. Teams will attack that spot in a seven-game series if they think they have found a weakness.
Or, the Heat could just overwhelm teams at other spots on the floor. That may be the model that works best.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 2
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 27
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 3
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19