Sep 14, 2010, 9:23 PM EST
Just a week ago, Tim Thomas was talking about how he wanted to be back with Dallas, to help them win a title and to show his loyalty to them for the Mavs’ support of Thomas while he was away helping his sick wife.
But the reality of those family issues continue to take priority for Thomas. As they should.
He will not be back playing with the Mavericks this season, according to Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News.
This could mean retirement for Thomas after a 13-year NBA career. He is not disclosing his wife’s exact medical situation, wishing to keep that private.
If he does step away for the season, the league will likely let the Mavericks void the contract as not to impact their luxury tax situation.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 8
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16