Sep 14, 2010, 9:23 PM EST
Just a week ago, Tim Thomas was talking about how he wanted to be back with Dallas, to help them win a title and to show his loyalty to them for the Mavs’ support of Thomas while he was away helping his sick wife.
But the reality of those family issues continue to take priority for Thomas. As they should.
He will not be back playing with the Mavericks this season, according to Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News.
This could mean retirement for Thomas after a 13-year NBA career. He is not disclosing his wife’s exact medical situation, wishing to keep that private.
If he does step away for the season, the league will likely let the Mavericks void the contract as not to impact their luxury tax situation.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 6
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18