Sep 14, 2010, 9:19 AM EDT
Sacramento prosecutors have asked for a one-month delay before having to file charges against Barnes following a domestic violence arrest.
The new court date is Oct. 18, according to News 10 in Sacramento, which falls during Lakers training camp.
The delay request was “not unusual. We do it all the time,” Deputy Sacramento County District Attorney Paul Durenberger said.
However, Barnes’ attorney Tom Johnson said the delay was absolutely “not typical. It’s a little atypical, but we applaud the decision to do some more investigation and to look thoughtfully and carefully at this decision. We feel fortunate that they’ve come to the conclusion at this point that there isn’t probable cause to charge (Barnes).”
The DA is right on this count. I will tell you from my days long ago as a court reporter that delays and requests for delays by attorneys may be the most common thing in our judicial system. That and bad egg salad sandwiches in courthouse cafeterias.
The Lakers open camp on Sept. 28 and have preseason games Oct. 16, 17 and 19, all in Southern California.
Barnes was arrested last week on charges of domestic violence after police came out to his Sacramento home following a 911 call that was cut short. Police found both Barnes and his fiancé Gloria Govan injured, determined Barnes was the aggressor and arrested him. Both Barnes that night and Govan the next day said there was nothing to this.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30