Pops Mensah-Bonsu returning to NBA, agent says

Sep 14, 2010, 11:52 AM EDT

Some bad player research in Spain is good news for NBA fans. Let me explain. Wait, there is not time, let me sum up.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu — who played well at Summer League — signed a deal with two-time defending Spanish league champion Caja Laboral. Then he got there and they released him after he failed the physical.

Smart money says this was just an excuse — as Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com tweeted, everyone and their cousin knew about a past knee injury and surgery for Mensah-Bonsu. And as Scott Schroeder at Ridiculous Upside noted it didn’t stop him from averaging 19.3 points and 13.5 rebounds per game for England during the Eurobasket qualifiers this summer.

Whatever. It’s all good for NBA fans, as Scott spoke to Mensah-Bonsu’s agent.

…[it's good for] the NBA veteran and former D-League All-Star, however, as he will sign with an NBA team this week according to agent John Greig.  Greig wouldn’t specify which team Mensah-Bonsu is signing with, only revealing that it is “not a team in the Northwest Division.”

He might have been a good pickup for the Timberwolves. So we can rule that out now.

1. Michael Warren - Sep 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I’m extremely happy for Pops. It was meant to be. I guess God answered his prayers. My prayers too. Him being released was a sign that it wasn’t meant to be and he belongs in the NBA. Good luck Pops and I wish you much success with team your’e going to in the NBA.

2. aaron - Sep 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Congratulations Pops Mensah-Bonsu! The situation that went down with his release, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The team he’s going to is going to get a fierce competitor and a guy who is going to play very hard. He’s also going to play phyiscal and plays with tremendous heart and passion. He a great athlete and uses it well to grab rebounds and block shots. He’s going to play physical defense and can score if needed. After what he did with Toronto, he deserves to be on an NBA roster. I didn’t think NBA teams realized what he can do. Now, over a year later, he’s coming back to our beloved NBA again. He’s going to make the team he’s going to much better. I wish you the best Pops.

3. Michael Warren - Sep 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Hard worker. Intensity. Passion. Energy. Hustle. Athletic. Rebounder. Shot-Blocker. Physical. Undrafted. Signed By Mavericks. No Opportunity. D-League. Europe. Called-Up by Spurs. Waived. Signed By Raptors. Opportunity. Difference Maker. Plays Great. Free Agent. Rewarded With Multi-Year Contract With Rockets. No Opportunity. Waived. Resigns With Raptors. No Opportunity. Waived. Goes Back To Europe. Plays In FIBA Tournament. Plays Outstanding. Waived By Spanish Team. Now Back In NBA. Long Journey.

4. casey - Sep 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Pops Mensah-Bonsu is back in the NBA. Where he belongs. Great person, class guy and hard worker. Undrafted. Unwanted. Now he’s finally back. I’m exicited and happy for him.

5. Anthony - Sep 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Welcome back Pops. Love is Love.

6. jean - Sep 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I’m happy for this man. Tough, Self-Made and Plays Hard. He plays like a “man possessed”. He dunks with authority and plays tough d.
    He plays with so much energy and passion. Does whatever it takes to win. I love when he roars after a dunk or blocked shot. I love his intensity.

7. ty101 - Sep 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Somebody’s finally giving Pops a chance. He played impressive during his short stints with the Spurs, Raptors and Rockets. After that no one signed him and he went overseas. Now he’s finally back where he belongs. The NBA. I always compare him to Kevin Garnett (without the offensive talent) because both bring tremendous energy and intensity. A guy like that can make a team better.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches