LeBron now sixth most hated sports figure according to Q Score

Sep 14, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for LeBron_Heat.jpgIt didn’t take a rocket scientist to know that LeBron James’s popularity had taken a hit in the wake of his move this summer and “The Decision.” The ability to read and log on to message boards could have told you that.

Now we have some numbers to back it up.

CNBC’s sports business reporter Darren Rovell got LeBron’s Q Score numbers, which show his popularity nationally. And things aren’t good.

In January 2010, The Q Scores Company took a poll of the general population and found that 24 percent of people thought of James in a positive light, compared to a 22 percent negative opinion…

“LeBron’s positive score at that time was the highest we had ever seen it,” [Q Score Company executive vice president Henry] Schafer said….

Schafer says that now only 14 percent of the general population see him as a positive figure, a 41.6 percent drop, while 39 percent view him in a negative light, a 77 percent decline.

In fact, LeBron is now the sixth most disliked sports personality, according to The Q Score Company, behind Michael Vick, Tiger Woods, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco and Kobe Bryant.

“Instead of his change to the Heat being seen as the best way he can win a championship, many have looked at it and how he chose to announce it as a selfish move,” Schafer said.

LeBron took less money to play with the other elite players and give himself the best chance to win a title. Those are things we generally laud in our sports stars (that “we expect stars to do it in one place” farce flies in the face of history). The fact this whole summer has become a LeBron negative had more to with how the announcement was handled — having the teams come to him in a very public pitch process followed by an hour long television special came off as incredibly egotistical. The backlash at that bled over into the choice itself.

1. Jake - Sep 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Again……? Who cares about if Lebron goes to the OSU game, if lebron is hated by people. Kurt, please post relevant news.
    Or how about any news?

2. JPerz - Sep 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I agree with Jake, the LBJ issue is so old. Nut I like to mention I think that study made by CNBC is a ridiculousnd really show ignorance among fandom. LBJ cause he switched to another team, despite how wrong was the way he announced it it shoulnt be a reason for people to hate him (a sign of ignorance). Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods had issues out of the sport and unrelated to their performance, and still people make them among the most hated figures, pretty much a sign that poeple are misoriented in terms or keeping each aspect of a figure in the right place. This is why this country is in such a bad regression (culturan and economic)right now; People pay attention to irrelevant stuff often messing with privacy, at the same time some person is gettin paid who knows how much for asking fans what sport figure they hate most. And on top of that a jounalist give so much attention to a stupid research. We are heading in the wrong direction, and to finish my post, I don’t care if people like or dislike, love or hate LBJ, that doesn’t tke talent way from him and remember my words, people are going to watch his games in the end.

3. Hater - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

as a hater…Bashing LBJ is never old…

4. prober - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I would venture to guess that every player on that “most hated” list (with the possible exception of Tiger) is delighted to be there: “Write whatever you want about me – just spell my name right”.

5. Jason Smart - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

LeBron James took narcisism to a whole new level. For a while he was one of the good NBA guys because he ONLY had a few kids out of wedlock and didn’t marry his girlfried so he could continue to get tail.
    His narcicism is many people’s fault including mine for cheering so much for the kid who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated at like age 16, him not having a father figure to tell him when he’s being dumb, etc. BUT, it doesn’t mean I won’t hate him for it.
    I hope he tears his ACL.

6. Beth - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Why is everyone so mad??? He had been asking for EVER to get some help in cleveland and they gave him SHAQ!! PA HA HA HA HA!!! An old *** washed up ball player!! Whatever!! Keep talking trash, it’ll only fuel their fire to play better and WIN!!!

7. Bill-Sonora - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Hey, an NBA article in September is great for me, thanks! As long as we’re still talking about the NBA, or the NBA players Im happy.
    Lebron 6th on list behind Kobe and others.
    Lebron will always trail Kobe.
    Go LAKERS!!

8. Ilookatitthisway - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I see LBJ as a professional who has chosen Basketball to make money and fame. His contract ended with Cavs, he was a free-agent, he chose to test the waters of free agency and chose to play for Heat. What’s wrong in what he did. He did everything within the confines of the rules of NBA.
    Perhaps the way he announced “the decision” might have hurt the feelings of the lot, but hey, he just made use of the opportunity to be in lime-light and grab attention and perhaps made money on that too. Who would not like such an attention and how many players in NBA can get such ?

9. pjmjfan - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Kurt, it’s old news buddy. You’re obsessed with LBJ dude. It’s getting down right creepy. And your, “But no need to tell you that. You clearly are already a hater. And it really doesn’t matter because in the fall you will all tune in to watch him.” is pathetic. Lately I’ve been going to other news sources for the lowdown on the NBA because of you, but thought I’d tune in today for the heck of it, and, sure enough, it’s more LBJ “news” from Kurt.

10. Sweet - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It would be sweet if he were to tear is ACL… Gosh I hate LBJ. A king with no ring…Lets keep it that way

11. DAR - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I always hate it when we are in a regression. Never cared much for math.
    And, no, I won’t be watching his games. I’m a Cavs fan and as one rooted for Lesbron when he was in Cleveland. Now, just like the other Cleveland sports players and owner who left, he is dead to me.
    The team he’s is on will probably win a few championships, but his team won’t win them. He doesn’t have a team. He is a member of Wade’s team. I think for all Lesbron’s basketball intelligence, he was too stupid to see that this would happen. He thought that all of those fans coming to the Q were there to see him and not anyone else. Well they were there to see their team win, just like they were there in the mid 70s to see the Cavs win and there to see the Cavs when unless they played Jordan.

12. Jean - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM

That’s actually funny. You think the country is in trouble because we pay too much attention to little things like CHARACTER- ie “private issues”? YOUR take is exactly what has causes the “regression”- people not being held accountable for their bad choices.

13. Anonymous - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM

You said:
    “Lebron 6th on list behind Kobe and others.
    Lebron will always trail Kobe.
    Go LAKERS!!”
    ————————————–
    Logic fail.

14. Ron - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM

The bottom line is that when a “business” as LBJ sees himself as, makes bad corporate decisions the public turns away and in fact begins to loath that which they once adored. James has no one to blame but himself anymore than Kobe had when he messed up.
    Advertising is everything. You mess it up and you lose. He messed it up. End of story.

15. Laughing at you haters - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

hahaha how many people gonna still hate him?? how many people wanted my main man on yall team?? go head keep hating and keep his name in your mouth

16. who cares - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM

No, I won’t be watching any NBA games. The entire process of selling yourself to the highest bidder by the “elite” stars this summer has completely turned me away from it and most pro sports. This country has way too may problems facing it to pay athletes outragous sums of money. Remember, every dollar they “earn” comes from some fan’s pocket. Yes, pay them a decent salary, but certainly don’t just throw money at them the way it’s being done.
    We need to take a good look at our priorities!

17. Anonymous - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Ask yourself if you live in a glass house? He who has never sinned may cast the first rock.

18. Randall - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

It’s very relevant. James wanted out of CLE so he could expand his brand name. Do companies want to renew contracts if nobody likes him?

19. Uh Huh - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM

“Logic fail”?
    In your case, it’s obviously
    Humor fail

20. JJ - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

If Kobe is one of the most hated figure in Sports, how come his jersey is the most popular and best seller??? That is really weird to understand.

21. anaxgnosis - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Typical of sportswriters to put some sort of unfavorable spin on things. Nowhere in the poll does the word hate occur. How about which sports figure is viewed least favorably? It could also be racism as all the figures mentioned are African- Americans. How about some real news rather than poll figures from a mostly uninformed populace.

22. David - Sep 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Wrong Randall, he signed with Nike for $100M months before!
    That said, I was born in the Ohio Valley. I liked LBJ. And you are all correct to some degree, he was a free agent and could do anything he so pleased. Other players do it all the time? It’s HOW he did it that puts him on this list. Wade flew to chicago because they were interested. Other player flew to other cities because they were interested. LBJ made everyone come to Ohio? A one hour special to say “screw you Family?” (yea, family as 1. its his home and 2. he basically built this hype because of #1) That was a bit much. Lastly, he took less money.

23. Allthewaylive - Sep 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

The money for the “announcement” was given to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. I don’t get why LeBron is supposed to be loyal to a business interest when business hasn’t been loyal to the Citizenry for a while now. I also find it ironic that all of the so called “6 most hated athletes” are all African-American. Before y’all start hollering about Tiger not being an THAT—He IS whether he knows it or not!

24. McDaddy - Sep 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM

A guess: whites hate Kobe, the black community adores him.
    A lot of black youth are the ones buying Kobe’s jerseys.
    Just like Mike Tyson was feared and loathed by whites, but
    admired by the brothers. Hate to bring race in to it but
    sometimes black and white Americans see things differently.

25. Stuck In Utah - Sep 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Re: McDaddy, Are you kidding? I’m a huge fan of Kobe, Lakers. I’m white. I’ve been one my whole life. From Wilt to Kareem to Magic to Kobe. I hate Boston. I hated Chicago when Jordan was winning. Not because I didn’t respect his game. He was the man. Because he beat my beloved Lakers. Screw what all the white bros think. I’m a Lakers fan life. For that matter I’m a USC fan too. We’ll be back! Then you’ll be sorry.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches