Sep 14, 2010, 4:49 PM EST
The Bobcats have spent the last few days — the last couple months, really — looking for a trade to get some value out of the Erick Dampier contract.
The best value apparently was to get the Bobcats under the luxury tax.
The Bobcats have waived Dampier. That means his $13 million contract comes off the books. And Dampier is now a free agent.
Bobcats owner Michael Jordan said he was going to get the roster below the luxury tax threshold, and this move did that. The Bobcats are now about $5 million below that number, meaning they would get a payment not pay the tax this year.
As for Dampier, he is going to have a number of teams knocking on his door. An affordable and solid if not spectacular center is something a lot of teams could use. There has been speculation about the Miami Heat but look for a number of teams to step forward now.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 3
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 2
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6