Sep 13, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
A month ago, Pops Mensah-Bonsu was bound for Spain, set for next season on a deal with Caja Laboral. Since then, Mensah-Bonsu tore up a EuroBasket qualifier as a member of Great Britain’s national team, and secured GB a spot in the big, bad EuroBasket tourney next summer.
Apparently in Spain, this is grounds for termination. According to The Hoops Market, Caja Laboral has released Mensah-Bonsu, and a report from El Correo points to a lingering knee injury as the cause. It’s entirely possible that the team saw something in Pops’ physical they didn’t like. Or, Caja Laboral utilized Mensah-Bonsu’s knee as a convenient way to nix the arrangement.
Tough to say for sure. All we know is that Mensah-Bonsu is suddenly unattached, and it’s possible he could slip onto an NBA training camp roster. It’s a fool’s errand to sort through depth charts for a team in need of another big; Pops’ skills and knack for hustling make him a nice, versatile candidate for end-of-the-bench minutes, even for teams already going three-deep at forward.
However, it shouldn’t be ruled out that Pops could find another overseas home with a different European club. After all, there’s a reason why Mensah-Bonsu signed with Caja Laboral in the first place, even if he’s an NBA-caliber talent.
Links via Tom Ziller of FanHouse and Mark Deeks of Sham Sports.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay