Sep 13, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
A month ago, Pops Mensah-Bonsu was bound for Spain, set for next season on a deal with Caja Laboral. Since then, Mensah-Bonsu tore up a EuroBasket qualifier as a member of Great Britain’s national team, and secured GB a spot in the big, bad EuroBasket tourney next summer.
Apparently in Spain, this is grounds for termination. According to The Hoops Market, Caja Laboral has released Mensah-Bonsu, and a report from El Correo points to a lingering knee injury as the cause. It’s entirely possible that the team saw something in Pops’ physical they didn’t like. Or, Caja Laboral utilized Mensah-Bonsu’s knee as a convenient way to nix the arrangement.
Tough to say for sure. All we know is that Mensah-Bonsu is suddenly unattached, and it’s possible he could slip onto an NBA training camp roster. It’s a fool’s errand to sort through depth charts for a team in need of another big; Pops’ skills and knack for hustling make him a nice, versatile candidate for end-of-the-bench minutes, even for teams already going three-deep at forward.
However, it shouldn’t be ruled out that Pops could find another overseas home with a different European club. After all, there’s a reason why Mensah-Bonsu signed with Caja Laboral in the first place, even if he’s an NBA-caliber talent.
Links via Tom Ziller of FanHouse and Mark Deeks of Sham Sports.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)