Iverson's manager "shocked" no team has contacted him

Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for iverson_sixers.jpgThere was a time when Allen Iverson filled arenas to see him play, when he was the player symbolizing the bridge to the hip-hop culture in the NBA, when his jersey sales were at the top of the league, when he was one of the most dynamic players in the NBA.

That was a decade ago. Today’s Iverson can’t get an NBA team to even call him. He is contemplating playing in China next season, but his personal manager Gary Moore said he was stunned by this development.

“We’re very astonished, to say the least, that not one team has contacted us with any interest,” Moore said. “I just don’t understand it….

“What has Allen Iverson done to not warrant interest in him?” Moore said.

Well, um, there was last season.

He put up good stats for the Grizzlies in the three games he played for them — 12.3 points per game and a PER of 16.9 — but was such a distraction, refusing to come off the bench and throwing Mike Conley under the bus, that they let him go. (Memphis had a good season and good chemistry once Iverson was gone.) He went back to Philadelphia where he was pedestrian for 25 games then had to leave the team to deal with a family issue — a legitimate issue but the timing and how it was handled left other teams questioning.

At age 35, no team trying to build wants and aging Iverson to take up a roster spot and no veteran contending team feels he’s worth the risk. We can tell you there is no buzz whatsoever for Iverson around the league. Nobody feels the production is worth the hassle.

So maybe that’s how one of the NBA’s legendary careers ends. With a whimper. Playing in China against Stephon Marbury. I wish it was different, but that is the reality.

1. SS - Sep 14, 2010 at 7:28 AM

A.I. has come and gone. I was one who looked forward to watching this guy play. A true one man wrecking crew back in the day. That was then. This is now. Who needs an old, selfish, brokedown A.I. I lost all respect for him when he came to my Pistons. What a pouter! He just plain refused to be a team player. REFUSED!!! What team needs that? Nobody! Good luck in China A.I.

2. Luis Alis - Sep 14, 2010 at 8:37 AM

If A.I.’s manager is truly shocked about this, he is a lousy manager.

3. spankmonkey - Sep 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM

seriously? … shocked. the dudes a corn row gangsta punk has been that was poison to the last 4 teams he has “played” for. euro league would not even take him.

4. Spider - Sep 14, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Say What! I bet you he wishes he got that degree from Georgetown now. Get ready… “Welcome to burger world can I take your order” or “Alan can you get a mop and clean up to vomit on isle 3″. Ha Ha Ha. Dude I hope you stashed a few of those millions away.

• mustbenugs - Oct 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Are you really that stupid? A.I. will continue to have more money than you will even after you pull your whole 401k out after retirement.

5. Anticipating A.I. - Sep 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM

That’s just cruel; A.I. will not go to China and will be selected by a viable NBA Team. Make no mistake about it, he can still BALL!! …And the LEAGUE knows it!

6. C - Sep 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM

You missed the point of the article entirely. Yes, he can still ball, but his baggage is too big for anyone to care!!

7. Bk - Sep 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Haha…another diehard AI fan. No one is saying the guy wasn’t talented…but when not a single team calls you back, the writing is on the wall. Maybe, Anticipating, if you were a GM you could choose to build a team around A.I….but all the other GMs would laugh while getting their popcorn ready to watch the tragic comedy that would be your team unfold.
    A.I. could probably play one on one with anyone….but he’s no team player. He still is, as he always was, all about himself. He can thank the Chinese for keeping him relevant, cause no one in the US cares anymore. At least, not those who care more for team players than “me first” superstars.

8. Anticipating A.I. - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Point well taken Bk, but let us table this discussion until we say Hmm …October 3rd!!! Sounds like ur familiar with the taste of CROW!!!

9. Anticipating A.I. - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM

C did you not read that I was replying to someone elses comment regarding A.I. ??? In any event we shall see come Oct 3rd! Get ur knives and forks out, I hear CROW is quite tough this time of year!!

10. JT - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Plez with all the hate! These players that playing in the league now don’t even care about playing for a championship are you serious! Iverson can still sell tickets and make money for the league ! despite in his defense he only played for 2 great coaches in his career JOHN THOMPSON and LARRY BROWN!!All this dude ever needed was a real coach to guide him threw his career! SO WHO’S AT FAULT HERE LOOK AT PHILLY ALWAYS MADE BAD BUSINESS DISCUSSIONS WHEN IT CAME TO BUILDING A TEAM AROUND THERE SUPERSTARS CHARLES BARKELEY MOSES MALONE AND THE LIST GOES ON! IM A TRUE FAN !! IVERSON YOU SHALL OVERCOME PEACE MY BROTHER !! GO RUN TELL THAT !!!

11. JT - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM