Sep 13, 2010, 9:34 AM EDT
Money is a motivator.
Antoine Walker needs money, he owes Vegas casinos $1 million after a settlement and has debts piled high as he tries to climb out of the hole from a terrible gambling addiction, one that left him nearly broke.
So Walker is looking to get paid to play. He has been working out this summer hard and may be in the best shape he’s been in since he walked on an NBA court. The 12-year veteran, former three-time All Star, is trying to make a comeback at age 34 after being out of the game for two years.
This week will be staying with Nazr Mohammed and working out at the Charlotte Bobcats facility, hoping to land a camp invite from the team, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
The Bobcats are a team that does not have a fully settled roster. They have an owner in Michael Jordan who knows Walker, who might let him get his foot in the door. You can see the logic, sort of.
But as Stein notes, the Bobcats are also deep in the athletic, wing forward role that Walker plays (Gerald Wallace, Stephen Jackson, Boris Diaw, Tyrus Thomas). Coach Larry Brown is not one to just screw around and invite people in. Walker may not expect to make the team, but a chance to come to camp may open up other NBA doors or a chance in Europe.
But first Walker has a lot of skepticism to overcome, he’s got to prove himself. He got a chance and then was let go from the Puerto Rican league last season when he shot poorly and was out of shape. That in a nice league but one a few notches down from the NBA.
But Walker is making his pitch. It would be interesting to see how he does.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18