Sep 11, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
As Kurt discussed in our preview last night, Team USA has a number of concerns against Turkey in the FIBA World Championship game today. The crowd will be Roman Coliseum-like. Hedo Turkoglu has been playing like his 2007 version instead of last year’s version. But the biggest concern for Team USA needs to be shutting down versatile forward and Milwaukee Buck, Ersan Ilyasova.
Ilyasova is averaging 14.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in this tournament, and his length and range make him an extremely difficult player to defend. Whoever Coach K chooses to sick on him, they’re going to have to be able to defend at the rim on cuts (which Turkey runs a lot for him), using their size to not allow easy buckets, and be able to extend out to the arc to guard against his range. It’s that combination that made him one of the better players on the Bucks last year.
On defense, Ilyasova has the same breadth of coverage. He can muscle down low, especially against a Team USA without much brute size, and can cover the wings on jumpers and threes. He presents a special set of problems for USA.
Andre Igoudala and Lamar Odom might end up splitting time against him, with Igoudala’s range and athleticism able to disrupt his play, and Odom’s size capable of combatting him in the paint. Odom is ideal in this regard because Ilyasova is essentially playing the same position Odom usually does, midway between the arc and the rim.
Ilyasova fouled out of the semifinal against Serbia. If USA can draw fouls on him with their muscle, that would go a long way towards getting him out of his rhythm.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31