Sep 11, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The Celtics lost their best assistant coach to Chicago this summer as Tom Thibodeau was finally offered a head coaching gig. But now word comes from Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe that assistant Clifford Ray will also not be returning. The report has not been verified by the Celitcs at this time.
Rivers has really become one of the best coaches in the league over the past three years. In all honesty, his best work in 2008 when the Celtics won the championship was in the motivational side, not the X’s and O’s side, which was questionable at times. But since then, he’s consistently outcoached his opponents, as well as keeping up the rabble-rousing speeches.
But losing his defensive genius and another top coach may cause difficulties for the staff. Granted the Celtics don’t need much coaching at this point, since the Big 3 are essentially coaches in their own right. But it’s still something to keep an eye on if focus, details, or different coaching-related elements seem to be missing early on.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8