Sep 11, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The Celtics lost their best assistant coach to Chicago this summer as Tom Thibodeau was finally offered a head coaching gig. But now word comes from Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe that assistant Clifford Ray will also not be returning. The report has not been verified by the Celitcs at this time.
Rivers has really become one of the best coaches in the league over the past three years. In all honesty, his best work in 2008 when the Celtics won the championship was in the motivational side, not the X’s and O’s side, which was questionable at times. But since then, he’s consistently outcoached his opponents, as well as keeping up the rabble-rousing speeches.
But losing his defensive genius and another top coach may cause difficulties for the staff. Granted the Celtics don’t need much coaching at this point, since the Big 3 are essentially coaches in their own right. But it’s still something to keep an eye on if focus, details, or different coaching-related elements seem to be missing early on.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23