Sep 11, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The Celtics lost their best assistant coach to Chicago this summer as Tom Thibodeau was finally offered a head coaching gig. But now word comes from Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe that assistant Clifford Ray will also not be returning. The report has not been verified by the Celitcs at this time.
Rivers has really become one of the best coaches in the league over the past three years. In all honesty, his best work in 2008 when the Celtics won the championship was in the motivational side, not the X’s and O’s side, which was questionable at times. But since then, he’s consistently outcoached his opponents, as well as keeping up the rabble-rousing speeches.
But losing his defensive genius and another top coach may cause difficulties for the staff. Granted the Celtics don’t need much coaching at this point, since the Big 3 are essentially coaches in their own right. But it’s still something to keep an eye on if focus, details, or different coaching-related elements seem to be missing early on.
- Klay Thompson should not have been allowed to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 0
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 13
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 12
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 73