Sep 11, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
The Celtics lost their best assistant coach to Chicago this summer as Tom Thibodeau was finally offered a head coaching gig. But now word comes from Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe that assistant Clifford Ray will also not be returning. The report has not been verified by the Celitcs at this time.
Rivers has really become one of the best coaches in the league over the past three years. In all honesty, his best work in 2008 when the Celtics won the championship was in the motivational side, not the X’s and O’s side, which was questionable at times. But since then, he’s consistently outcoached his opponents, as well as keeping up the rabble-rousing speeches.
But losing his defensive genius and another top coach may cause difficulties for the staff. Granted the Celtics don’t need much coaching at this point, since the Big 3 are essentially coaches in their own right. But it’s still something to keep an eye on if focus, details, or different coaching-related elements seem to be missing early on.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 23
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 39
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 15
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 34