Pat Riley fires back at Charles Barkley, Stan Van Gundy and all you Heat haters

Sep 10, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for PRiley.jpgPat Riley is done biting his tongue.

He’s spent the last two months listening to people criticize his players and their wanting to play on one team and he’s had it. Not as much with the media and bloggers — although I have yet to receive a bouquet of roses — but with the people in the league.

And in an animated interview with Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel, Riley fired back. Starting with Charles Barkley, who called LeBron’s one-hour The Decision special a “punk move.”

“Charles Barkley, to me, went way over the top,” Riley said. “I think Charles is probably the only guy in the league that can get away with what he gets away with.

“Calling these guys a bunch of punks is a personal attack. LeBron isn’t that. Dwyane is not, and neither is Chris.”

Then there was former Heat coach Stan Van Gundy — the guy Riley kicked to the curb to pilot the Shaq and Wade train — who wondered why name players wanted to be Wade’s “lap dog.”

“Stan’s out there making comments about Chris Bosh being a lap dog to Dwyane Wade,” Riley said. “I don’t know what happened to some of these guys along the way.”

Riley — like a lot of us, really — have kind of reached the end of the talking point of the summer and want to get to the playing games point of the summer. He knows his team has high expectations and has been labeled the enemy in a lot of quarters, and he’s fine with that.

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong in having the great anticipation. And I think that’s one of the keys to developing tremendous enthusiasm. The scarlet letter has been placed on their back for some reason. These guys are going to have to develop a resolve second to none maybe in the history of the NBA…

“Now we’ve got to go out on the court and prove it,” he said. “I don’t look back in regret at what anybody says about us.”

1. Rick Motown - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Pat Riley is not a punk. That’s all I’m sayin’.

2. Luvheat - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Oh hell no!!! I thought you were all dogging some responder for his misspelling…lamo I didn’t realize it was the author with the lame spelling skills

3. Cordae - Sep 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM

They write about it because they know idiots like yourself will make his way to the thread to bash LeBron. Look at any article with LeBron or Miami in the title and they have the most comments.
    BTW that last comment you made shows just how relevant it still is, because people like you are still emotional about it……..dummie =/

4. Tony - Sep 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Jacob you are a little punk hiding behind your little computer. What are you 9 going on 10. You couldn’t hold Pat Riley’s shoes!

5. ms lauyn hill - Sep 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM

haters beware….the time for talking is over….its time riley and the star studded heat cast prove their worth and until then will everybody and i mean everybody please shut the hell up!!! and as for the writer of the this piece go back to elementary school, you can’t spell biting–are you kidding me?

6. Rose - Sep 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM

All I know is that I have been watching basketball for a long time and players are always leaving one team for another in the pursuit of a ring. These players are no different. Barkley was kicked to the curve by the Sun when they shopped him. He went to a team he anticipated would get him a ring. I enjoy Barkley’s Banter but I don’t take him seriously. Jordan’s trash talk is just that trash. He too moved around. He did not go back to Chicago and he had his reasons when he returned to the league. Lebron Has the right to choose where he wants to go just like Jordan did and Barkley did. I hope these gays can give basketball a boost. I can’t wait to watch them. I don’t care if they get a ring or not. I just want to watch them. They will make others step up their game and that is great for basketball. Let the games begin. Bring it on. Well done Lebron. Owners kick players to the curve all the time. Barkley should know that better than most. Kudo to Lebron. That Cleveland owner would
    kick him to the curve without a thought. Well done Lebron. Enjoy the game and enjoy your new gig. I can’t wait.

7. NY Hammerhead - Sep 11, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Riley should have won 6 rings with the Lakers, they had 3 HOFers, but Riley wasn’t no Phil Jackson. Jordon won nothing until Phil showed up in Chicago.Riley did get the Knicks to the Finals but he couldn’t get a great Miami team out of the first round for years, he burnt them out in practice with sprints. Nice suits but that it. I remember when Barley thought he was going to the Finals with a 12 point lead in the 7th game, only to lose the game and his last chance to play in a final with Houston..choker.

8. Bob Blick - Sep 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM

This is not building a team from the bottom up. Give me a break. He got lucky they had so much cap space (could have destroyed the franchise had these players not come on board). He got lucky bron and bosh decided they aren’t really meant to be leaders and came over to let Wade be their leader. He is basically strying to stack the deck and then gets his feelings hurt when he gets criticism? Go put some more grease on your hair.

9. barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Hey Brick,
    Give the man a break and his due, you lost, he won it all.
    He place his bet and won big and all you LOSERS are mad at him!!!
    Leave the HOFamer alone. He is the master of the Universe and the NBA today.
    Thank you very much Mr. Brick.

10. Hoops McCann - Sep 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Uh, Eric –
    Will you please name the coaches that have won 5 NBA championships (or any)without a star studded lineup?
    Uh huh,that’s what I thought.

11. Hoops McCann - Sep 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM

“He GOT LUCKY they had so much cap space (could have destroyed the franchise had these players not come on board). He GOT LUCKY bron and bosh decided they aren’t really meant to be leaders and came over to let Wade be their leader.”
    I’m going to let you in on a secret BLICKY.
    Shhhh!
    Riley CREATED all of that cap space knowing full well he was going to talk Wade, Lebron, and Bosh into playing together. He orchestrated the whole deal and had planned it out for years. Now listen real quietly… sshhh…..
    LUCK HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT NUMBNUTS!!!

12. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

What say you Blincky? Tell me about it- He got lucky they had so much cap space. What about the other NBA teams like the NY Knicks, NJ Nets and even Chicago that cleared/(dumped) cap space and came up empty-handed? Would you like to be one of them losers or would you rather be like the main MAN Pat with a big CIGAR in your hand?
    You make the call and get back in the GAME!!

13. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM

OMG, I can’t believe that I own this blog for now!I feel like a Million $$$ just like Pat Riley owned the NBA and Summer of 2010. His Wish was my command, now he can just sit back and let us defend him and his reputation from all these Haters out there.
    He shouldn’t have to apologize for winning BIG and making my world as a HEAT FAN. These are the Glory Days in SOBE according to the BOSS- Bruce Springstein.
    Little minds like Charles Barkley can go to Hell or jump off the bridge if they can face the realities on the ground- We Rule the NBA world for the foreseable future!
    All you haters and sore losers, get over it. Wake up from your denial because this is THE GAME-CHANGER we’ve all been waiting for!

14. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM

OK Big boys and girls,listen up- this is how Riley pulled off the incredible.
    All credit goes to Chris BOSH who was instrumental in pulling this off.Chris was the glue that held this together or may I say the common denominator in the whole equation. Without him as the last piece of the puzzle, Chicago could have been the winners today instead of the whinners.
    Lebron wanted Chris in Cleveland, Chris said no Way to another small market just like Toronto.If Chris had gone to Cleveland, Wade walks to Chicago with Carlos Boozer. Miami could have gotten at best Amare or whatever leftover from the 2010 SummerFest.
    These are just permutations from my brain until the full story of the Summer of 2010 is published.
    Pat Riley, pls send my free ticket+paid parking for the Game between the HEAT and the Lakers on XMAS DAY.
    I have been waiting for this day, this medium to defend the “defenceless” Heat Organization from loud-mouthed jealous losers like Charles Barkley with limitless airtime to spew his hatred and mean-spiritedness on innocent kids who admire him as a “Role Model” when they were growing up.
    Consider this my 15 minutes of fame to go head to head with that BIG sour-grape Sir Charles. This is my TNT today to tell Mr Barkley to shut up your mouth, you PUNK!!!

15. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM

OK PUNk Charles,
    How many NBA teams did you (Hopping) play for in your fruitless pursuit of that evasive NBA Ring? I think you started in Philadelphia 76ers during your prime, and then hopped to Phoenix SUNs before finshing your miserable career with the HOUSTON ROCKETS. I’ll say that you had an average NBA career but not a HALL of Famer by any stretch of imagination. Did I miss any Team?
    Any ways, the only credible and objective person in all these Saga is HAll of Famer KG- Kevin Garnet. He is credible and has first hand knowledge about Winning, Youth & Loyalty?
    He laid it all out to ‘Bron to go with his heart and be happy in whatever he decides to do- the DECISION. I saw him on TV
    whispering to LBJ after the Boston win over Cleveland.
    Why can’t Charles Barkley be reasonable and objective in this regard? Or at least fake it or shup up! Why can’t David Stern fine him for his loud mouth? I guess there goes his GM aspiration- in flame.

16. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Punk Charles,
    What ever happened to your political ambition to RUN for the Governor of the great State of ALABAMA? Maybe you can finally win something tangible that your mama will be proud of. This year 2010 of political OUTSIDERS and MISFITS may have been your best chance? Look at the cream of people winning Primaries all over the place even Rand Paul in Kentucky.You couldn’t do any worse than your miserable NBA career where you did not meet your expectations- you came up a little too short in reaching your final goal of winning an NBA Championship Ring. With your loud mouth, you will do very well in Politics becuase you always speak before you think. Your biggest political asset is you’re TEFLON- you can get away and always with almost anything without consequences even in your DWI and financial stuff in VEGAS? You always get off easily and that’s what Politicians do well.
    So Get up your FAT @@@SSS from TNT & RUN BABY, RUN. I promise you you may actually win this time and be happy and at peace with yourself. You never know who might vote for you, after all it’s by SECRET BALLOT.

17. Barry - Sep 11, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Sir Charles,
    I’ll be BACK as Arnold Schwarzenegger, would say in his action movies!
    This is for the ANGOLAN BASKETBALL PLAYER YOU ABUSED IN 1992 Dream Team win 121-66 over Angola- Barkley proceeded to throw a hard elbow at an Angolan player.
    I rest my CASE.

18. John - Sep 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Man, I LOVE the NBA, and after having followed it for over 20 years, this whole LeBron to Miami twist is the BEST thing to happen to the league EVER, along with the Bird-Magic rivalry and that number 23 guy from North Carolina (all equal billing, I think). FAN-F#@KING-TASTIC!!! As Jim Carey as Andy Kaufman said so well: “It’s just good ol’ fashioned entertainment, George; EVERYBODY loves a villain!”.
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Qman33 - Sep 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Barkley was right, It was a punk move and Riley is right there with them. You watch, Riley will be coaching this team by the time the playoffs start – Guaranteed

20. Barry - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Now we hear that Sir Charles Barkley collected $$$ MONEY from agents while playing College Basketball at Auburn University just like Bush.
    What else do we know or don’t know yet about Barkley- as a moral compass about right and wrong?
    No wonder he refused to be a “Role Model” for anybody’s kids!!
    At least he was right on that one.

21. qman33 - Sep 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM

You make a good point. Barkley is no moral compass for sure. In fact, I hated him as a player because he was as selfish as any of them. However, I still think he’s right it was a punk move on Lebron’s part to do it like he did.

22. terry - Sep 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Red Auerbach was Coach/GM for 9 Celtic championship teams, and GM for 7 more. He paid for them? Well duhhh – they get paid for playing, do they not? That’s why they are called ‘professionals’.
    Charles Barkley was a blowhard when he was playing and now that he isn’t playing he gets PAID – damn well – for being a blowhard. IOW he shoots his mouth off for a living, and if he can get strands of genius like this going for some fatheaded remark that means he is doing his job and keeping off-season interest in the NBA going.
    If that wrestler (can’t remember his name) can get elected to be governor of Minnesota and if SNL alumnus Al Franken can get elected to the U.S. Senate from Minnesota then Charles Barkley can probably get elected to be Governor of Alabama.
    God forbid.

23. Barry - Sep 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Terry, you’re right on the money!! Maybe we take Barkley too seriously than he’s worth? He is after all a well-paid CLOWN or JESTER indeed.
    He will do well in professional wrestling if he joins VINCE McMann and his wife in that Wrestling circus wherew he belongs.

24. Abdul - Sep 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

LEBRON JAMES if you can’t beat the best like JORDAN,MAGIC,LARRY BIRD AND KOBE you might as well join the best WADE.What a waste of human confidence in themselves for trying to be the best. LEBRON people will not look at you like JORDAN and others. Those great guys listed above sticked to their team and did it themselves, which means win championships.

25. Barry - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Hey Abdul,
    Just ask yourself how many NBA Championships Pippen won during the two years that MJ was gone playing Golf or Baseball?
    How many NBA Championships would KOBE Bryant would have won alone without SHAQ or PAU GASOL?
    How many NBA Championships would this guy in Boston Paul Pierce have won by himself without Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett joining him in 2008 Championship run?
    You tell me how many NBA Championships Dwight HOWARD will win in ORLANDO before the road closes down or the winmdow/door shuts down on him from down SOUTH BEACH?
    You can ask his personal coach Patrick EWING how fast the window of opportunity shuts down on people like him when HAKEEM the dream and the HOUSTON Rockets took the only two Championships as MJ was out Fishing?
    LBJ made the RIGHT MOVE @ the RIGHT TIME- You just have to deal or live with it!

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches