Sep 10, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
Ah, the joys of language.
A Russian player accused the USA’s Rudy Gay of calling them… well, Chris Sheridan from ESPN has the story.
“He say in Russian a bad word. I don’t know how he know this. I won’t even translate it. It’s bad,” said Russian forward Andrey Vorontsevich, who got yelled at by Iguodala after being a little too physical with Lamar Odom.
“All I said was, ‘watch it, watch it,'” Iguodala said, bewildered. “I don’t speak any Russian.”
Apparently (according to bilingual Russian journalist Vladimir Gomelsky of NTV+, the Russian all-sports cable network), if you say, “watch it, watch it” fast enough, it can be misconstrued as the Russian euphemism for a female canine.
Technically, the Russians were the USA’s female dogs. Still, not nice to remind them of it.
Now for some lessons in insulting people in Lithuanian…
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40