Matt Barnes arrested on felony domestic violence charges

Sep 9, 2010, 1:55 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for Mbarnes.jpgUPDATED 2:35 AM: Barnes responded to a text message from News10’s Bryan May and said this:

“U know any domestic violence situation 9 outa 10 times the man gets
arrested. That’s the case here I was the victim but still got arrested.
No matter what I say people are gonna think what they want…”

Barnes also sent out this tweet:

DON’T LET YOUR EARS WITNESS, WHAT YOUR EYES DIDN’T SEE!!!

1:55 AM: From The Sacramento Bee:

Los Angeles Lakers player Matt Barnes was arrested and booked into Sacramento County Main Jail on Wednesday night on a felony domestic violence charge.
Sacramento County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said deputies responded to an incomplete 911 call from the 8100 block of Sunset Avenue at about 4:15 p.m., where they encountered Barnes and a woman “who lived with him and with whom he had a dating relationship.”
After speaking to Barnes and the woman, deputies determined that the two had been in a physical confrontation and Barnes had prevented the woman from talking to 911 operators. Curran said dispatchers heard the sound of a struggle in the background on the brief open line until it was disconnected.
Both parties had visible injuries but Barnes was determined to be the primary aggressor, Curran said.
Barnes is also charged with maliciously obstructing the use of a telephone line, Curran said. He posted a $50,000 bond and was released shortly before 9:40 p.m.
He is scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Obviously, this is a very serious charge. We’ll keep you updated on this situation as it develops.

1. tmacknc33 - Sep 9, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I feel that both of them should have went to jail…..why is it that the man is always hauled off to jail….

2. Larry - Sep 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I don’t know how it started or who started it but restricting the use of the telephone in a 911 call is a pretty serious offense I suspect. Him being about 6’7″ and 225 lbs he probably had a definite size advanta on her, and she may have feared for here life. Now if she had a knife, gun or baseball bat that all may be different Be interesting to see what kind of penalties can be assessed in restricting a 911 call especially if it was her phone she was calling from.

3. *** - Sep 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM

ignorant

4. Chard - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:39 AM

The fact is in Cali, the person who makes the call to authorities is considered the victim. He automatically gets taken in. But, because he obstructed her call, I am sure he is going to be in some trouble and also, because this happened in Cali- it is up to the DA if they continue the process of conviction (even if the victim recants or decides not to press charges).
    He should have just called the cops and had her butt put out… all of this would have been avoided.

5. Ray - Sep 9, 2010 at 5:15 AM

I would never believe anything a gender feminist trained police officer testifies to in a court of law, nor would I ever follow any instructions a gender feminist trained judge gives. Anyone who does is very foolish. “Los Misandry” shows the corruption that exists in America’s taxpayer funded, gender feminist based, domestic violence laws. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAmOxvudpF8

6. Steve - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:30 AM

I was charged in a similar case, obstructing a 911 call. It was a misdemeanor. I took anger management classes, and the case was closed. in my case there was no physical violence, I simply took the phone, which was mine.There’s go to be more to this, trust me.

7. Chris - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Ha ha Matty! You shoulda signed with the Cavs baby. You suck ass, PBT sucks ass.

8. JJ - Sep 9, 2010 at 6:51 AM

He’s “6’7″ and 225 pounds and had a definite size advantage” and yet he also had visible injuries. Think about it. If she was able to give as good as she got as big as he is I assure you he wasn’t serious about trying to hurt her, and she was no innocent bystander.
    For the record, I am a woman who has been in two abusive relationships; one with a man who although no bigger than I was I would NEVER have dared hit back at because I knew if I did I would wind up in the hospital – if I was lucky- or else dead.

9. kathleen - Sep 9, 2010 at 7:05 AM

DON’T LET YOUR EARS WITNESS, WHAT YOUR EYES DIDN’T SEE!!!
    i hear you

10. Shock Exchange - Sep 9, 2010 at 8:07 AM

What’s even more interesting is that Barnes and his then fiance, Gloria Govan, appeared on VH-1’s Basketball Wives and defended how strong their relationship was. Barnes got into a Twitter beef with a few of the other castmembers, leading to the trending topic #MattBarnesWho —–> http://clicky.me/1fUt

11. dsmith4444 - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Take a look at the dude, the lady obviously has great taste in men. You see what you get.

12. Seymour - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

toxic relationship for sure…Understand how he feels there are just some women out there that are crazy. Even if you attempt to leave they will do anything to prevent that.

13. Lion Woods - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Matt Barnes is a overly agressive goon. I think he can be a decent utility player but his head definitely comes to a point. As far as a woman attacking him and getting him arrested, what else is new. It doesn’t matter who did the violence (battery) the male will get the cuffs 99% of the time.

14. Renzo P. - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Size and weight advantage have nothing to do with it. couples have arguments all the time and some of the can get physical with some pushing, grabbing, wrestling etc. Some even lead to hitting. In most cases neither party is “fearing for their lives”. But the advantage goes to the woman in most cases when the police get involved unless the male has really been severely injured by the woman. If the woman just has a slight mark caused by the male then he is taken into custody. When know this and will use it to the upmost. They can literally hit the man and know that he will grab her to stop her from hitting him again, and she will fight to hit him again knowing he will grab harder. And with that there will be some visible marks on the woman from being held. Now she calls the police and tells about how she was scared and he’s so much bigger than her. She’s so emotional that she’s crying. Now, men don’t bruise as easily and usually won’t be crying. We are conditioned to sympathize with the women in most cases. It shouldn’t be like that but we are human. Matt Barnes physical appearance with the tattoos all over his body doesn’t help him to look innocent. Not saying that tattoos mean you’re a bad person. But the fact is there are many negative connotations associated with people who have a ton of tattoos, the police don’t have the time at the scene to see if Matt is a great guy. They have alot of info to filter thru in a small amount of time. I can go on and on with the unfairness that could have happened but i’m sure most of you see my point.

15. MCLOVIN - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I REMEMBER MY MOTHER HAVING A TALK WITH MY SISTER AT A YOUNG
    AGE SHE EXPLAIN TO HER THAT MEN DO NOT HIT WOMEN . BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE OF THAT COIN IF U PUT YOUR HAND ON SOMEONE BE PREPAIRED TO GET HIT BACK . I DO SYMPATHIZE WITH HER FOR AND HIM BECAUSE ODF THE SITUATION . (HELL HAS NO FIERY ON A WOMAN THAT IS SCORN ) ITS TRUE

16. vbarlow - Sep 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Thats funny as hell!!! He might not cheat Gloria but he sure does beat women!!!! Now I know she feels dumb as hell!!

17. lgd - Sep 9, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Thugs!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches