Sep 8, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Kay Kellogg has it a lot tougher than Dwight Howard.
Kellogg doesn’t have Shaq and the Celtics or the Miami Heat to worry about. But she has cancer. Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, and it is incurable.
She is also an Orlando Magic season ticket holder whose one wish was to meet Dwight Howard. Recently that happened, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
“He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine,” Kay says
They laughed and talked and talked and laughed…. And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?
She looked at him and said, “Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard.”
Forget the well-produced commercials and over-hyped PR events that all too often pass for NBA charity. This is really NBA Cares. This is Dwight Howard being real.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 6
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 4
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27