Sep 8, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Kay Kellogg has it a lot tougher than Dwight Howard.
Kellogg doesn’t have Shaq and the Celtics or the Miami Heat to worry about. But she has cancer. Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, and it is incurable.
She is also an Orlando Magic season ticket holder whose one wish was to meet Dwight Howard. Recently that happened, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
“He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine,” Kay says
They laughed and talked and talked and laughed…. And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?
She looked at him and said, “Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard.”
Forget the well-produced commercials and over-hyped PR events that all too often pass for NBA charity. This is really NBA Cares. This is Dwight Howard being real.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 10
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68