Sep 8, 2010, 1:58 PM EST
Kay Kellogg has it a lot tougher than Dwight Howard.
Kellogg doesn’t have Shaq and the Celtics or the Miami Heat to worry about. But she has cancer. Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, and it is incurable.
She is also an Orlando Magic season ticket holder whose one wish was to meet Dwight Howard. Recently that happened, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
“He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine,” Kay says
They laughed and talked and talked and laughed…. And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?
She looked at him and said, “Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard.”
Forget the well-produced commercials and over-hyped PR events that all too often pass for NBA charity. This is really NBA Cares. This is Dwight Howard being real.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16