Sep 8, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Kay Kellogg has it a lot tougher than Dwight Howard.
Kellogg doesn’t have Shaq and the Celtics or the Miami Heat to worry about. But she has cancer. Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, and it is incurable.
She is also an Orlando Magic season ticket holder whose one wish was to meet Dwight Howard. Recently that happened, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
“He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine,” Kay says
They laughed and talked and talked and laughed…. And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?
She looked at him and said, “Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard.”
Forget the well-produced commercials and over-hyped PR events that all too often pass for NBA charity. This is really NBA Cares. This is Dwight Howard being real.
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 0
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 2
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 14
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 16
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 19