Sep 8, 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Kay Kellogg has it a lot tougher than Dwight Howard.
Kellogg doesn’t have Shaq and the Celtics or the Miami Heat to worry about. But she has cancer. Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma, and it is incurable.
She is also an Orlando Magic season ticket holder whose one wish was to meet Dwight Howard. Recently that happened, as reported in the Orlando Sentinel.
And, so, a few days ago, Dwight showed up at her door step. He was supposed to spend 30 minutes and ended up staying nearly two hours.
“He has become my 7- foot-tall bottle of medicine,” Kay says
They laughed and talked and talked and laughed…. And then he asked her why — why is he the only one on her bucket list?
She looked at him and said, “Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard.”
Forget the well-produced commercials and over-hyped PR events that all too often pass for NBA charity. This is really NBA Cares. This is Dwight Howard being real.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 18
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11