Sep 8, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
Chucky Atkins has had 11 solid years in the NBA, played in some big games early in his career, drained 934 threes and pocketed a little over $34 million. A career most guys would envy.
But Atkins doesn’t want it to end, so he is in the Valley of the Sun, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
Veteran point guard Chucky Atkins and Valley resident Steven Hunter, an ex-Suns big man, joined workouts Tuesday in hopes of getting to the Suns’ training camp that starts Sept. 28.
Atkins may very well get a camp invite, but a contract for the season seems unlikely. The Suns have that Steve Nash guy at the point, and want to get Goran Dragic more minutes behind him. Not sure they are going to carry a third point on the roster. But maybe he gets in to camp, reports are good and another team decides they need a vet guard off the bench and look his way. Stranger things have happened.
But more likely, Atkins will have a hard time finding an NBA roster spot.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3