Sep 8, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
Chucky Atkins has had 11 solid years in the NBA, played in some big games early in his career, drained 934 threes and pocketed a little over $34 million. A career most guys would envy.
But Atkins doesn’t want it to end, so he is in the Valley of the Sun, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
Veteran point guard Chucky Atkins and Valley resident Steven Hunter, an ex-Suns big man, joined workouts Tuesday in hopes of getting to the Suns’ training camp that starts Sept. 28.
Atkins may very well get a camp invite, but a contract for the season seems unlikely. The Suns have that Steve Nash guy at the point, and want to get Goran Dragic more minutes behind him. Not sure they are going to carry a third point on the roster. But maybe he gets in to camp, reports are good and another team decides they need a vet guard off the bench and look his way. Stranger things have happened.
But more likely, Atkins will have a hard time finding an NBA roster spot.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8