Sep 8, 2010, 1:05 PM EST
Chucky Atkins has had 11 solid years in the NBA, played in some big games early in his career, drained 934 threes and pocketed a little over $34 million. A career most guys would envy.
But Atkins doesn’t want it to end, so he is in the Valley of the Sun, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
Veteran point guard Chucky Atkins and Valley resident Steven Hunter, an ex-Suns big man, joined workouts Tuesday in hopes of getting to the Suns’ training camp that starts Sept. 28.
Atkins may very well get a camp invite, but a contract for the season seems unlikely. The Suns have that Steve Nash guy at the point, and want to get Goran Dragic more minutes behind him. Not sure they are going to carry a third point on the roster. But maybe he gets in to camp, reports are good and another team decides they need a vet guard off the bench and look his way. Stranger things have happened.
But more likely, Atkins will have a hard time finding an NBA roster spot.
- DeMarcus Cousins wins. 4
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 9
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 17
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 6
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 4
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 24
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 10