Sep 8, 2010, 1:05 PM EST
Chucky Atkins has had 11 solid years in the NBA, played in some big games early in his career, drained 934 threes and pocketed a little over $34 million. A career most guys would envy.
But Atkins doesn’t want it to end, so he is in the Valley of the Sun, according to Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
Veteran point guard Chucky Atkins and Valley resident Steven Hunter, an ex-Suns big man, joined workouts Tuesday in hopes of getting to the Suns’ training camp that starts Sept. 28.
Atkins may very well get a camp invite, but a contract for the season seems unlikely. The Suns have that Steve Nash guy at the point, and want to get Goran Dragic more minutes behind him. Not sure they are going to carry a third point on the roster. But maybe he gets in to camp, reports are good and another team decides they need a vet guard off the bench and look his way. Stranger things have happened.
But more likely, Atkins will have a hard time finding an NBA roster spot.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 0
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 12
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36