Sep 7, 2010, 6:43 PM EDT
After he missed 73 games last season and Summer League, pardon us if we take the latest Kelenna Azubuike report with a grain of salt.
According to Hoopsworld’s Alex Kennedy (via twitter) Azubuike’s camp think he’ll be ready for the season opener. Training camp, not so much. This isn’t much different than we heard from the Knicks a month ago.
The Knicks need to take their time and go slow here. Azubuike is an explosive athlete that is a fantastic fit in Mike D’Antoni’s system. Knicks fans will love him. He will eventually pass Wilson Chandler for the starting two guard spot, just watch.
Because of that potential, the Knicks cannot risk anything short of full recovery. Let him miss camp. Let him miss half of November. Control his minutes and keep them down when he first returns, slowly building them up. After all this recovery, better to go slow than have a setback. You don’t want a lingering issue.
Getting the conditioning and explosiveness back will take time. But the result is worth the wait. Knicks brass and fans just have to be patient.
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 0
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 25
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (74)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay