Sep 7, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Dan Gilbert is putting a much better spin on LeBron James leaving now.
Not the right one, but at least one that sounds reasonable and lacks Comic Sans font.
“We weren’t as focused on the long term (before James left),” he said. “We’ll build the right way. It’s absolutely refreshing and challenging and we’re all looking forward to building the Cleveland Cavaliers into a premier team.
“We didn’t achieve the ultimate goal (with James). It can’t be a one-person show. We have to have a team approach and a team effort to make it happen.”
It sounds good, but he’s wrong.
He’s right that you need to build a team. But he’s wrong about this — you need a superstar or two. Look at the NBA champions in the last 30 years: The Lakers had Magic and Kareem, then Kobe with Shaq and Gasol; The Celtics had Larry Bird with McHale and Parish, now KG as part of the big three; the Bulls had Jordan and Pippen; the Spurs had Tim Duncan; the Rockets had Hakeem the Dream; the Heat had Dwyane Wade and Shaq.
You get the idea? You need a superstar. The only ream really not to have one was the 2004 Pistons and they were a defensive juggernaut with some quality offensive players. And they are the exception.
Now, you have to do a better job putting quality players that fit the system around your superstar — that is where the Cavaliers failed. What was the system? They had a defensive minded coach in Mike Brown then gave him defensively limited players like Shaq. Gilbert is right that there was a focus on the short term, but there had to be because the goal was to win now and keep LeBron.
So go ahead and think long term, Gilbert. But you still need some superstars. Sorry, it’s just how you really win at the top level of basketball.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination