Sep 7, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
Mario Chalmers will be the starting point guard on opening night for the Miami Heat.
But he will be a point guard in name only, at least in the classic definition. With Dwyane Wade and LeBron James on the floor, Chalmers will not be the guy with the ball in his hands dictating the offensive plays. His role is going to look a lot more like Derek Fisher’s in Los Angele, where he rarely creates his own shot.
If Mario can hit that standstill 3-pointer, he can practically reinvent himself this season.
I wouldn’t say reinvention so much as refinement. 31.5 percent of Chalmers shots last season were spot ups (according to MySynergySports). And he was actually reasonably effective at it from three — he took 155 spot up threes last season and hit 34.8%. Not bad, although for the designated spot up guy you want that number closer to 40 percent. For example Mike Miller hit 50.5 percent of his spot up shots.
Chalmers has range, he just needs to be a little more consistent from three and he’ll get to knock down some big shots this season. Of course, if he really wants to stay on the floor it is the rest of Winderman’s comments that Chalmers needs to heed.
What he really needs, though, is an improved ability to keep opposing point guards in front of him. His gambling instincts will pay dividends with this team, but his straight-up defense has to get better.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13