Sep 7, 2010, 3:21 PM EST
Mario Chalmers will be the starting point guard on opening night for the Miami Heat.
But he will be a point guard in name only, at least in the classic definition. With Dwyane Wade and LeBron James on the floor, Chalmers will not be the guy with the ball in his hands dictating the offensive plays. His role is going to look a lot more like Derek Fisher’s in Los Angele, where he rarely creates his own shot.
If Mario can hit that standstill 3-pointer, he can practically reinvent himself this season.
I wouldn’t say reinvention so much as refinement. 31.5 percent of Chalmers shots last season were spot ups (according to MySynergySports). And he was actually reasonably effective at it from three — he took 155 spot up threes last season and hit 34.8%. Not bad, although for the designated spot up guy you want that number closer to 40 percent. For example Mike Miller hit 50.5 percent of his spot up shots.
Chalmers has range, he just needs to be a little more consistent from three and he’ll get to knock down some big shots this season. Of course, if he really wants to stay on the floor it is the rest of Winderman’s comments that Chalmers needs to heed.
What he really needs, though, is an improved ability to keep opposing point guards in front of him. His gambling instincts will pay dividends with this team, but his straight-up defense has to get better.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 0
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 2
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13