Sep 7, 2010, 10:05 PM EDT
Adonal Foyle was about as beloved as an NBA journeyman can be. Because he was a lot more than that.
Foyle was active in philanthropy, part of the players union and just a renaissance man in the world of basketball. Media, fans, teammates, everybody loved him. When he retired last month people hated to see him go, they wondered what was next for him.
How about director of player development for the Orlando Magic? That became official today with word from the Magic.
It means he will be a go between for players and management, plus he will work on, well, player development. Which in his case will mean more than just developing a good spin move to the left. Which seems kind of perfect for him.
Everyone is just happy to hear that Foyle will still be around the league. It wouldn’t have been the same without him.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10