Sep 5, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Things have been looking up for Yi Jianlian.
He is out of the swamps of Jersey (and into the swamp that is Washington D.C.). He will play in an up-tempo offense next to John Wall, which could put his athleticism to use. He has been working out with David Thorpe. He has been looking good as the leader of a Chinese national team that advanced to the knockout phase (despite a 1-4 record in group play).
But now he is battling and inflamed Achilles tendon.
He sat out the final game for China in group play, had an MRI on his leg, which found nothing serious. He is expected to be out there Tuesday when China takes on Lithuania.
None of this should carry over to the season, he would have a few weeks to rest and recover. And the Wizards will be careful with him during camp, because they don’t want this to be a lingering thing.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 44
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59