Sep 5, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
We’re in the dregs of the NBA signing season, when guys who can contribute like Luther Head end up with make-good deals in Sacramento, where they will battle the undrafted for a roster spot.
But look at the names still unsigned and available (compiled by Ira Winderman at the South Florida Sun Sentinel):
Allen Iverson, Jerry Stackhouse, Joe Smith, Flip Murray, Earl Watson, Michael Finley, Larry Hughes, Bobby Simmons, Trenton Hassell, Jarvis Hayes, Ime Udoka and Devean George.
Each of those players come with questions, specifically questions about how much they can help in comparison to the costs.
The day has come when you’re name won’t get you an NBA roster spot. For the most part (there are exceptions). In an age of information and on demand NBA video and advanced statistics, general managers see the drop off in older players more quickly. In a cost conscious NBA, teams don’t want to get caught on the wrong side of the aging curve. Teams also are not going to take on marginal talent to fill the end of they bench when they can give that spot to a younger player who may develop.
Now if you want to play, you’ve got to be able to ball. And there are questions now about everybody on that list.
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 0
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 2
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars