Sep 5, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
The homeless in Miami don’t want your LeBron James gear.
Well, they may want it. We don’t know. We do know that advocates for the homeless in Miami have been reticent to accept free LeBron James clothing.
Remember after LeBron James’ decision there were LeBron jerseys being burned in the streets of Cleveland. So some thoughtful Clevelanders said “hey, let’s collect this stuff and give it to the homeless in Miami.” Which seemed to make a lot of sense.
“It’s on hold right now,” says Rita Clark of the Miami Coalition for the Homeless. “There’s a lot of politics around this.”
The coalition had been in talks with the Cleveland do-gooders but ran into some resistance here in South Florida. Apparently, a marketing plan based on the concept of Here — take a bunch of stuff we hate! wasn’t particularly appealing. Clark says she heard that Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado was opposed to the donation plan.
“It seemed very well-intentioned, but it’s not gonna happen right away,” Clark says. “I’m trying to help them be better-received here in Miami.”
Insert your own “apparently beggars can be choosers” joke here.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 78
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 46
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (79)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay