Sep 3, 2010, 2:02 PM EST
After Summer League we were singing his praises — albeit more as a scorer than a point guard — then after the big trade that brought Darren Collison to Indiana we wondered: Where does Lance Stephenson fit in? He is an intriguing player. The Pacers thought so too.
Then he allegedly threw his girlfriend down a flight of stairs and got arrested for it.
In the Pacers eyes, he has gone from interesting to non-existent.
And he is getting counseling, Wells reports.
The Pacers are in a tough spot. They gave Stephenson a two-year contract that they are now stuck with. (Voiding it on a morals clause would lead to a legal battle with the union.)
At some point they are going to have to let him in the door. The questions are when and with what restrictions? Larry Bird is clearly ticked, but they signed Stephenson to play basketball and at some point they have to let him.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)