Sep 3, 2010, 8:16 PM EST
Luke Walton played just 29 games last season because of his back. After his father’s revelations earlier this season about how his back problems left him almost incapacitated for a couple of years until a new back surgery remedied the issue, it’s hard not to draw parallels.
Luke spent the summer working on strengthening his back, but I would say this quote from him in a new interview with Mike Trudell at Lakers.com did not exactly sound confident.
My back feels great right now. It’s a lot stronger. I’m feeling confident in it and am excited to test it out. That being said, at the same time I’m a little nervous, just because I know how much of a grind the season and training camp can be. I dedicated the whole summer to making it strong enough to last, and that’s what I’m hoping for. If it doesn’t, I’m in a pretty bad spot. But I’ve put together a great team of people to work with, with our strength coach with the Lakers (Chip Schaefer), a back specialist for some exercises, a Pilates teacher and a yoga teacher. I’ve just been mixing and matching all of those people every single day for the past two months to get this as strong as I can.
The Lakers could really use Walton — off the bench he keeps the triangle offense flowing. The Lakers bench players tend to freelance out of the offense a lot more when Walton is sitting (or lying down, such as the case may be) but when he is in and gets the ball in the high post you see cutting and motion off the ball.
The Lakers could use that. I wouldn’t say need, but they could use that. And anybody who makes the beauty of the triangle offense come out is someone we fans should be rooting to see.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)