Sep 3, 2010, 8:16 PM EDT
Luke Walton played just 29 games last season because of his back. After his father’s revelations earlier this season about how his back problems left him almost incapacitated for a couple of years until a new back surgery remedied the issue, it’s hard not to draw parallels.
Luke spent the summer working on strengthening his back, but I would say this quote from him in a new interview with Mike Trudell at Lakers.com did not exactly sound confident.
My back feels great right now. It’s a lot stronger. I’m feeling confident in it and am excited to test it out. That being said, at the same time I’m a little nervous, just because I know how much of a grind the season and training camp can be. I dedicated the whole summer to making it strong enough to last, and that’s what I’m hoping for. If it doesn’t, I’m in a pretty bad spot. But I’ve put together a great team of people to work with, with our strength coach with the Lakers (Chip Schaefer), a back specialist for some exercises, a Pilates teacher and a yoga teacher. I’ve just been mixing and matching all of those people every single day for the past two months to get this as strong as I can.
The Lakers could really use Walton — off the bench he keeps the triangle offense flowing. The Lakers bench players tend to freelance out of the offense a lot more when Walton is sitting (or lying down, such as the case may be) but when he is in and gets the ball in the high post you see cutting and motion off the ball.
The Lakers could use that. I wouldn’t say need, but they could use that. And anybody who makes the beauty of the triangle offense come out is someone we fans should be rooting to see.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 9
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 18
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90