Sep 3, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Like a prodigal son, Boston fans — and Danny Ainge is among those fans — are welcoming back Delonte West with open arms. The fatted calf is running scared right about now.
Delonte is back to a place where he had his best seasons — in the pre Big 3 era in Boston West was a fan favorite. He played with fearlessness, a reckless abandon that fans love. He started 71 games for the Celtics in 05-06 and gave them a fairly efficient 12 points a game. He was eventually traded in the deal that brought Ray Allen to Boston.
After he left came the big problems. That reckless style of play led to injuries, there was the run in with the law and the public disclosure of an emotional disorder. Then he was playing for the Cavaliers, who were the sworn enemy of Boston the last few seasons.
Read Boston blogs and chat rooms though and it doesn’t matter. In part because he has a non-guaranteed contract, so if it doesn’t work out in training camp nothing is lost. But in part because they are just glad to have him back.
Danny Ainge told the Boston Globe he is among those fans happy to see West back in green.
“Delonte has been one of my favorite players that I enjoyed watching in my time here with the Celtics,” said Ainge. “He is a competitor and we’re all aware and we’ve done a lot of checks and had a lot of conversation with Delonte and his people and we obviously have a long history with Delonte also and we think he can help us win.”
He should be a good fit, spelling Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo in the backcourt nightly. More West and less Von Wafer will be a good thing in Boston. They have a roster spot available.
This seems to have happy ending written all over it. But then, we’re weeks out of training camp so maybe it is too early to write the ending to this tale. We know how Boston fans want it to end, though.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13