Sep 2, 2010, 1:01 PM EST
Rudy Gay, who was fourth on the Team USA in scoring at 9 points a game before the USA took on Tunisia Thursday, suffered a mild groin strain in the game and sat out the second half of that game.
“We think we’ll be fine but we just didn’t want to chance that”
Which is why Gay sat the second half.
The USA is off until Monday, so Gay has plenty of time to rest. We’ll see how much he is worked in practice the next few days, or if he gets a couple days off.
Coach K is very mindful that he has a team of NBA players who a couple weeks after they leave Turkey will be back in their team’s training camps (in Gay’s case the Memphis camp). Groin injuries are a thing that can linger if not taken care of right the first time. We’ll have to monitor Gay to see his progress.
But you can expect him back and ready to go Monday when the USA takes on Angola in the first round of the knockout stage of the tournament.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8