Sep 2, 2010, 1:01 PM EST
Rudy Gay, who was fourth on the Team USA in scoring at 9 points a game before the USA took on Tunisia Thursday, suffered a mild groin strain in the game and sat out the second half of that game.
“We think we’ll be fine but we just didn’t want to chance that”
Which is why Gay sat the second half.
The USA is off until Monday, so Gay has plenty of time to rest. We’ll see how much he is worked in practice the next few days, or if he gets a couple days off.
Coach K is very mindful that he has a team of NBA players who a couple weeks after they leave Turkey will be back in their team’s training camps (in Gay’s case the Memphis camp). Groin injuries are a thing that can linger if not taken care of right the first time. We’ll have to monitor Gay to see his progress.
But you can expect him back and ready to go Monday when the USA takes on Angola in the first round of the knockout stage of the tournament.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 14
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)