Sep 2, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
Rudy Gay, who was fourth on the Team USA in scoring at 9 points a game before the USA took on Tunisia Thursday, suffered a mild groin strain in the game and sat out the second half of that game.
“We think we’ll be fine but we just didn’t want to chance that”
Which is why Gay sat the second half.
The USA is off until Monday, so Gay has plenty of time to rest. We’ll see how much he is worked in practice the next few days, or if he gets a couple days off.
Coach K is very mindful that he has a team of NBA players who a couple weeks after they leave Turkey will be back in their team’s training camps (in Gay’s case the Memphis camp). Groin injuries are a thing that can linger if not taken care of right the first time. We’ll have to monitor Gay to see his progress.
But you can expect him back and ready to go Monday when the USA takes on Angola in the first round of the knockout stage of the tournament.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25