Sep 2, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
The Orlando Magic will play in the brand-spankin’-new Amway Arena this season.
If you go to a game there, you will park in the new Geico parking structure — yes, Orlando has secured a sponsorship for their parking garage. Seriously. Sports Business Journal has the story (via TrueHoop’s twitter feed).
The insurance firm signed a five-year deal valued in seven figures annually. In turn, Geico receives naming rights to a seven-level parking garage being built next to the arena and a skywalk connecting the two buildings, said Magic President Alex Martins.
The city of Orlando owns the garage and shares in the revenue, Martins said. He would not disclose the split.
I will never begrudge a team coming up with a creative way to make some extra revenue. But really Dwight Howard should get a piece of this, because if it wasn’t for him leading a competitive Orlando team nobody would come forward to sponsor the parking garage. Heck, they’d have a hard time getting a building sponsor at the price they likely got.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 42
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8