Sep 2, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
The Orlando Magic will play in the brand-spankin’-new Amway Arena this season.
If you go to a game there, you will park in the new Geico parking structure — yes, Orlando has secured a sponsorship for their parking garage. Seriously. Sports Business Journal has the story (via TrueHoop’s twitter feed).
The insurance firm signed a five-year deal valued in seven figures annually. In turn, Geico receives naming rights to a seven-level parking garage being built next to the arena and a skywalk connecting the two buildings, said Magic President Alex Martins.
The city of Orlando owns the garage and shares in the revenue, Martins said. He would not disclose the split.
I will never begrudge a team coming up with a creative way to make some extra revenue. But really Dwight Howard should get a piece of this, because if it wasn’t for him leading a competitive Orlando team nobody would come forward to sponsor the parking garage. Heck, they’d have a hard time getting a building sponsor at the price they likely got.
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 0
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 25
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17