Sep 2, 2010, 2:13 AM EST
Slovenia 80, Brazil 75: Brazil gave the USA their toughest game so far, but they could not beat Slovenia on Wednesday. And that means Brazil likely will finish third in Group B, meaning they move to the side of the knock-out bracket with the USA and Spain (and may get Argentina or Serbia in the round of 16). Not good news for the Americans, either.
Slovenia was in control of this one from early on and led by 17 at one point, but a fourth quarter run by Brazil cut the lead to two. Then Jaka Lakovic stepped up and drained back-to-back threes for Slovenia and they held on
Angola 92, Germany 88 (OT): Germany was up four with :30 seconds to go and ended losing this one. Olimpio Cipriano had 30 for Angola, including 6 in the OT. Angola has never beaten Germany, they have never advanced to the knockout round of the World Championships. Congratulations on this huge accomplishment. You’re reward — the USA in the round of 16. Still, big win for the African nation.
New Zealand 71, Canada 61: This win sends New Zealand on to the next round and keeps Canada winless and going home early. No Samuel Dalembert, no Steve Nash, no wins for Canada.
Spain 91, Lebanon 57: The win means Spain, now 2-2 in group play will advance to the next round, but they will likely get Greece in the first round, then the Americans if they win that. Tough road, but Spain is paying the prince for some sloppy play in the group stage. By the way, Marc Gasol led all scorers with 22 in this one.
Serbia 94, Australia 79: Nenad Krstic was back from his chair-throwing suspension and that opened up the Serbian attack. Australia made this one interesting with a fourth quarter run that cut the lead to three, but Serbia got serious again and this was over.
In other action, Greece 97, Ivory Coast 60; Croatia 84, Tunisia 64; Russia 89, China 80; Turkey 79, Puerto Rico 77; Lithuania 69, France 55; Argentina 88, Jordan 7
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)