Sep 2, 2010, 2:13 AM EDT
Slovenia 80, Brazil 75: Brazil gave the USA their toughest game so far, but they could not beat Slovenia on Wednesday. And that means Brazil likely will finish third in Group B, meaning they move to the side of the knock-out bracket with the USA and Spain (and may get Argentina or Serbia in the round of 16). Not good news for the Americans, either.
Slovenia was in control of this one from early on and led by 17 at one point, but a fourth quarter run by Brazil cut the lead to two. Then Jaka Lakovic stepped up and drained back-to-back threes for Slovenia and they held on
Angola 92, Germany 88 (OT): Germany was up four with :30 seconds to go and ended losing this one. Olimpio Cipriano had 30 for Angola, including 6 in the OT. Angola has never beaten Germany, they have never advanced to the knockout round of the World Championships. Congratulations on this huge accomplishment. You’re reward — the USA in the round of 16. Still, big win for the African nation.
New Zealand 71, Canada 61: This win sends New Zealand on to the next round and keeps Canada winless and going home early. No Samuel Dalembert, no Steve Nash, no wins for Canada.
Spain 91, Lebanon 57: The win means Spain, now 2-2 in group play will advance to the next round, but they will likely get Greece in the first round, then the Americans if they win that. Tough road, but Spain is paying the prince for some sloppy play in the group stage. By the way, Marc Gasol led all scorers with 22 in this one.
Serbia 94, Australia 79: Nenad Krstic was back from his chair-throwing suspension and that opened up the Serbian attack. Australia made this one interesting with a fourth quarter run that cut the lead to three, but Serbia got serious again and this was over.
In other action, Greece 97, Ivory Coast 60; Croatia 84, Tunisia 64; Russia 89, China 80; Turkey 79, Puerto Rico 77; Lithuania 69, France 55; Argentina 88, Jordan 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15