Sep 1, 2010, 11:10 AM EST
There are political overtones in some international sporting events. You could feel it when Turkey played Greece yesterday — then Greek fans showed up with a banner that said “We are neighbors not enemies.” It was a chance for sport to transcend the political.
Today comes USA vs. Iran, but the Iranians are looking at this as a basketball game, not a political statement.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 16
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 30
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 30
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 25