Sep 1, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
There are political overtones in some international sporting events. You could feel it when Turkey played Greece yesterday — then Greek fans showed up with a banner that said “We are neighbors not enemies.” It was a chance for sport to transcend the political.
Today comes USA vs. Iran, but the Iranians are looking at this as a basketball game, not a political statement.
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 9
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 3
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 18
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 21