Sep 1, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Sean Williams was waived by the New Jersey Nets this past January, and no one missed him. Not even the Nets, who were struggling to notch their fourth win of the season at the time. Williams had chances to play. He had chances to succeed. He had chances to, well, do anything but screw up.
Williams’ competition for playing time in New Jersey has consisted of Josh Boone, Kris Humphries, Stromile Swift, and Eduardo Najera. Yet Williams, for a variety of reasons, could never snag the spot in the rotation — and in the NBA — that he was born to take. Williams’ physical gifts will make sure he gets basketball employment of some kind for the foreseeable future, but his NBA appeal has dried out. At this stage in his career, Williams just isn’t worth the trouble. Talented though he may be, there’s only so much need for athletic bigs without the proper focus, and that’s to say nothing of Williams’ other indiscretions.
With no NBA team willing to cut the check, Williams is forced to seek employment elsewhere. According to David Pick of Eurobasket.net, Williams has been signed by Hapoel Jerusalem, an Israeli team that plays in Eurocup and the Israeli Super League. I’m sure this won’t be the last we’ll see of Williams. He’ll likely pop up again on a training camp roster in a year or two, and hopefully by then Williams’ basketball life will be in slightly better order.
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 21
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 36
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)