Sep 1, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
So we’ve heard that Jamal Crawford wants to be extended or traded. Or extended and traded. Whatever works. So long as he gets some money before the new CBA kicks in.
Well, looks like the long-term money is going to Al Horford, but that doesn’t mean the Hawks are in any rush to trade Crawford, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution’s Michael Cunningham.
As for Jamal’s value on the trade market, I’m told at least three teams inquired about his availability before the pay-me-or-trade-me news came out but were rebuffed by the Hawks. I’ve got to think Sund will try to re-establish those talks now and listen to any other offers that come in. I know there’s some sentiment to just deny Jamal the extension and have him report to camp (and he would), but would it be a good look for the Hawks to have an unhappy camper?
Sund should put up with an unhappy camper if it means waiting until he gets a deal he likes for Crawford. There is value for other teams in a guy that can score and is a $10 million expiring contract (or, someone they can extend). As teams move through camp and into the season, as the trading deadline gets closer, those deals likely will improve.
There are options. (And by the way, the terrible idea floated in Dime Magazine that gained some twitter traction of Atlanta signing Allen Iverson is not one of them, that might be the best way to ruin this team fast). Sund is right to be patient, the market will come to him.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16