Sep 1, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
There’s an Iranian player in the NBA, although you’d hardly know it by looking at most Memphis Grizzlies box scores. He played in only 36 games for Memphis last season, and most of his minutes came in garbage time.
But at the FIBA World Championships, Hamed Haddadi is a star.
He has been averaging 22 points, 10 rebounds and almost four blocks a game for Iran so far in the tournament. Heck the 7’2″ center is even 4 of 12 from three. He will be his team’s go-to guy when they take on the USA Thursday.
Haddadi will have a big height advantage going against Lamar Odom, and based on Odom’s recent play, Iran should go right at him. Look for Tyson Chandler and — one can hope — Kevin Love to get their chances against him.
Iran is not going to hang with the USA — they are horribly outmatched from 1 to 12. But Haddadi might open a few eyes in Memphis and earn himself a few more minutes when the NBA season rolls around. Then again, this isn’t Haddadi’s first rodeo; he’s succeeded on the international stage before, but has struggled to find playing time in the NBA nonetheless.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'