Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Derek Fisher is not a big man. He’s not athletically gifted by NBA standards. He’s never been a spectacular defender or shooter.
But the man has five rings. He’s repeated as champion three times now, and he had key roles in all of them. His unwavering self-confidence allows him to step up in pressure situations and not blink.
The defending Super Bowl champions want some of that. They want to repeat.
Not a bad move — Fisher is a good speaker. He is the verbal motivation in the Lakers locker room. (Kobe Bryant and his icy stare are the non-verbal.) He gets how to fire guys up, he understands winning and he knows how to get his message across.
It was also an inspired choice too because Fisher and Drew Brees can stand toe-to-toe and look eye-to-eye.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11