Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
Derek Fisher is not a big man. He’s not athletically gifted by NBA standards. He’s never been a spectacular defender or shooter.
But the man has five rings. He’s repeated as champion three times now, and he had key roles in all of them. His unwavering self-confidence allows him to step up in pressure situations and not blink.
The defending Super Bowl champions want some of that. They want to repeat.
Not a bad move — Fisher is a good speaker. He is the verbal motivation in the Lakers locker room. (Kobe Bryant and his icy stare are the non-verbal.) He gets how to fire guys up, he understands winning and he knows how to get his message across.
It was also an inspired choice too because Fisher and Drew Brees can stand toe-to-toe and look eye-to-eye.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 29
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 35
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17