Aug 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
We know the USA was tested — and we’ve questioned Coach K’s rotations — but what else was going on Monday in Turkey? Glad you asked.
Slovenia 91, Croatia 84: In an intense battle of rivals, Croatia had a five-point lead at halftime. Then NBA players Bostjan Nachbar and Goran Dragic scored 11 points as part of a big Slovenian run that had them up by as much as 8 in the third quarter.
But Croatia wasn’t done, they fought back in the fourth quarter to take the lead again and it looked like it would be a close finish until an 11-0 run b Slovenia ended this one. Still, one of the most intense games so far in the tournament.
Argentina 91, Angola 70: Luis Scola is putting on a show and may be on his way to an MVP award in Turkey. He had scored 21 of the first 42 points by Argentina and finished with 32 on the day. Credit the overmatched Angola team as they scrapped and made a run that cut the lead to 3 points in the third quarter, then Argentina got focused, went on a 16-0 run and it was over.
Australia 78, Germany 43: Australia impressed nobody barely squeaking past Jordan on Sunday, but come Monday they had it together. Former Trail Blazer Patrick Mills had 16 points and 7 assists to lead Australia. The Germans fall to 1-2 in Group A and the winner of their game Wednesday against Angola likely will determine who is the fourth team to advance out of Group A (with Argentina, Serbia and Australia the other teams likely moving on).
Iran 71, Tunisia 58: Iran had this one in hand, up 52-28 with 3:23 left in the third when Tunisia went on a 24-4 run that cut the lead to four midway through the fourth quarter. Iran then regained control and won handily. Memphis’ Hamed Haddadi had 23 to lead Iran.
Serbia 112, Jordan 69: Serbia started the game on a 9-0 run and kept pulling away from there. Nothing to see here, move along.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6