Aug 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
We know the USA was tested — and we’ve questioned Coach K’s rotations — but what else was going on Monday in Turkey? Glad you asked.
Slovenia 91, Croatia 84: In an intense battle of rivals, Croatia had a five-point lead at halftime. Then NBA players Bostjan Nachbar and Goran Dragic scored 11 points as part of a big Slovenian run that had them up by as much as 8 in the third quarter.
But Croatia wasn’t done, they fought back in the fourth quarter to take the lead again and it looked like it would be a close finish until an 11-0 run b Slovenia ended this one. Still, one of the most intense games so far in the tournament.
Argentina 91, Angola 70: Luis Scola is putting on a show and may be on his way to an MVP award in Turkey. He had scored 21 of the first 42 points by Argentina and finished with 32 on the day. Credit the overmatched Angola team as they scrapped and made a run that cut the lead to 3 points in the third quarter, then Argentina got focused, went on a 16-0 run and it was over.
Australia 78, Germany 43: Australia impressed nobody barely squeaking past Jordan on Sunday, but come Monday they had it together. Former Trail Blazer Patrick Mills had 16 points and 7 assists to lead Australia. The Germans fall to 1-2 in Group A and the winner of their game Wednesday against Angola likely will determine who is the fourth team to advance out of Group A (with Argentina, Serbia and Australia the other teams likely moving on).
Iran 71, Tunisia 58: Iran had this one in hand, up 52-28 with 3:23 left in the third when Tunisia went on a 24-4 run that cut the lead to four midway through the fourth quarter. Iran then regained control and won handily. Memphis’ Hamed Haddadi had 23 to lead Iran.
Serbia 112, Jordan 69: Serbia started the game on a 9-0 run and kept pulling away from there. Nothing to see here, move along.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8