Aug 30, 2010, 2:36 PM EST
The unorthodox Phoenix Suns are going to be even more unorthodox next season.
It’s a matter of necessity after the roster shakeups this summer, with Amare Stoudemire out and Hedo Turkoglu and Josh Childress in. They will be smaller, faster, and have a new spot-up shooter in Steve Nash. Don’t take my word for it, that is what coach Alvin Gentry told XTRA 910 in Phoenix.
“I think for Hedo to have Steve Nash out there and for Steve Nash to have Hedo out there, you’re talking about a guy, he really is a facilitator Hedo is and we will put the ball in his hands. For the first time since I’ve been here we can use Steve as an off the ball shooter which he is great at. Probably one of the top five shooters in the league, but we just never had the opportunity to put him in that position.”
Yes, Nash is a pretty good catch-and-shoot guy. According to Synergy sports, Nash had 93 shots last season as a spot-up guy and shot 39.7 percent from three (slightly below his overall 42 percent, but still dang good) and he averaged a very good 1.12 point per shot attempt. Most of his spot ups — 69 percent — were from three.
Also expect Gentry to try some wild lineups to see what works.
In our case we’re going to have to [really develop chemistry] because we’re going to be a small team, there are going to be rebounding situations, there’s going to be rotation situations because we’re about ten or eleven guys deep. So all of that is going to play into it. As we go into the season and into training camp those are the things that are going to be on our mind.”
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 24
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 15
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7