Aug 30, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
Jamal Crawford wants a new deal. As Ira Winderman explained, he sees what is coming and want to get his now before the clouds of uncertainty over future contracts get any darker.
The Hawks and general manager Rick Sund will sit down with him and his agent Aaron Goodwin in the coming week, according to the Boston Globe. That’s nice of them, but it doesn’t mean Crawford is getting what he wants.
Crawford has limited leverage here, other than to be a distraction and disruption. Well, that and the Hawks may want to keep him after this season, although after 11 years in the league he is not likely to get a long-term deal.
We’ll see what the Hawks do, but there would be interest in teams wanting to trade for him. He can flat out score and he is a $10 million expiring deal. The Hawks did nothing to really improve their roster this summer, they stuck with the status quo while the East got better and deeper. The Hawks are still good, but they are not going to be better.
Crawford — although a key part of their success — is also a chip that could be used to help change that. To get a real big man for the middle or maybe a dynamic point guard. Something to change it up.
But you really have to wonder if they would extend Crawford for another couple years. Probably not at $10 million annually. That is old CBA money, and the storm clouds of change are getting darker.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31