Aug 27, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
The bidding is open — the Oklahoma City Arena where the Thunder play will be changing out its title sponsor. Gone will be Ford, in will be…
We don’t know.
But the Oklahoman tells us Ford is coming off. Ford bought the naming rights before the Thunder came to town, but a clause in the deal allows the Thunder to terminate the deal. Ford was paying less than $500,000 a year before, but with an NBA team there the figure should likely be in the $3 million range.
The Thunder gave Ford — specifically Oklahoma Ford dealers — a chance to come in at a new price, but that was too rich for their blood right now.
So who are likely bidders? What national corporations are based out of OKC?
As Tom Ziller first noted, Sonic Drive-In, the fastfood chain is. Talk about really rubbing salt in the wounds in Seattle — first you steal their Sonics and change their name to the Thunder, then you force the team to play in Sonic Stadium? Ouch.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 34
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 14
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay