Aug 26, 2010, 2:57 PM EDT
Landry Fields, the second round pick of the New York Knicks, has inked a contract with the team. If you can believe Landry Fields himself (and his twitter account).
Fields is a second round pick of the Knicks, but his contract is guaranteed for $500,000 for the first season (according to Newsday) so he’ll make the roster. He comes out of Stanford where he was one of the few players worth watching in that conference last season, although he was not expected to be drafted.
The Knicks saw something they liked and Landry turned out to be a surprise star for the Knicks at Summer League, where he averaged 15.6 points per game, shooting a nice 52.7 percent overall but just 23 percent from three. He would fearlessly attack the rim, getting to the stripe 13 times against Toronto in one game.
Translating that to success in the NBA and Mike D’Antoni’s system is another thing. Landry will be behind Roger Mason and Kelenna Azubuike at the two, and if you would prefer to call him a wing player he falls behind a host of other veterans the Knicks have at the three, too. Minutes will be hard to come by.
But he’s going to get a shot, which is all he can ask for. He’ll have to improve that three point shot to really stick.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 0
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 2
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 21
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33