Aug 26, 2010, 2:57 PM EDT
Landry Fields, the second round pick of the New York Knicks, has inked a contract with the team. If you can believe Landry Fields himself (and his twitter account).
Fields is a second round pick of the Knicks, but his contract is guaranteed for $500,000 for the first season (according to Newsday) so he’ll make the roster. He comes out of Stanford where he was one of the few players worth watching in that conference last season, although he was not expected to be drafted.
The Knicks saw something they liked and Landry turned out to be a surprise star for the Knicks at Summer League, where he averaged 15.6 points per game, shooting a nice 52.7 percent overall but just 23 percent from three. He would fearlessly attack the rim, getting to the stripe 13 times against Toronto in one game.
Translating that to success in the NBA and Mike D’Antoni’s system is another thing. Landry will be behind Roger Mason and Kelenna Azubuike at the two, and if you would prefer to call him a wing player he falls behind a host of other veterans the Knicks have at the three, too. Minutes will be hard to come by.
But he’s going to get a shot, which is all he can ask for. He’ll have to improve that three point shot to really stick.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8