Aug 26, 2010, 8:47 AM EST
Amar’e Stoudemire and Danilo Gallinari have been at the Knicks training facility this summer, putting in the work for next season. So has Anthony Randolph. Heck, even David Lee has been their working out after his finger injury with team USA — and he’s not even a Knick anymore.
Eddy Curry? Crickets.
So far this summer all Curry has done is pick up his $11.2 million option for next season and have an arrest warrant filed against him. But not workout at the Knicks facility, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday.
Curry missed almost all of last season (he played in seven games) with a calf injury and did stay on in New York through June working out and doing rehab, then he went home to Chicago for the birth of his fourth child. After that, nothing. He was supposed to be in Las Vegas during Summer League, when veterans were working out with the team. Nothing. He did not come back to work out at the Knicks facility in July, as promised.
He’s not even returning the Knicks calls.
Newsday’s Hahn found out Curry is in Ocean City, N.J., reportedly working out with his own personal trainer he hired. Believe that or don’t.
The Knicks could use him, there is not a real, trustworthy center on the roster. Even in Mike D’Antoni’s system someone needs to rebound and defend the rim on defense, and the Knicks need someone to grab that role and make it theirs.
If you are someone who believes players step up in the last year of their contracts — when they are playing for a new one — then you believe Curry could have his best year. This season he is playing to stay in the league, on any deal. The $60 million contract Isiah Thomas gave him was one of Thomas’ biggest mistakes — and that is saying something. Curry is not going to get that next time around, he is much more likely to be a veteran minimum guy next year.
If he gets a deal at all. He’s going to have to prove he is back and motivated for any team to offer him a deal. So far, he continues to disappoint.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)