Aug 26, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT
Amar’e Stoudemire and Danilo Gallinari have been at the Knicks training facility this summer, putting in the work for next season. So has Anthony Randolph. Heck, even David Lee has been their working out after his finger injury with team USA — and he’s not even a Knick anymore.
Eddy Curry? Crickets.
So far this summer all Curry has done is pick up his $11.2 million option for next season and have an arrest warrant filed against him. But not workout at the Knicks facility, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday.
Curry missed almost all of last season (he played in seven games) with a calf injury and did stay on in New York through June working out and doing rehab, then he went home to Chicago for the birth of his fourth child. After that, nothing. He was supposed to be in Las Vegas during Summer League, when veterans were working out with the team. Nothing. He did not come back to work out at the Knicks facility in July, as promised.
He’s not even returning the Knicks calls.
Newsday’s Hahn found out Curry is in Ocean City, N.J., reportedly working out with his own personal trainer he hired. Believe that or don’t.
The Knicks could use him, there is not a real, trustworthy center on the roster. Even in Mike D’Antoni’s system someone needs to rebound and defend the rim on defense, and the Knicks need someone to grab that role and make it theirs.
If you are someone who believes players step up in the last year of their contracts — when they are playing for a new one — then you believe Curry could have his best year. This season he is playing to stay in the league, on any deal. The $60 million contract Isiah Thomas gave him was one of Thomas’ biggest mistakes — and that is saying something. Curry is not going to get that next time around, he is much more likely to be a veteran minimum guy next year.
If he gets a deal at all. He’s going to have to prove he is back and motivated for any team to offer him a deal. So far, he continues to disappoint.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18