Aug 26, 2010, 9:17 AM EDT
Baron Davis has been called plenty of things as the point guard and team leader for the Los Angeles Clippers, and he’s taken it all mostly with a “sticks and stones” attitude. Then he’d jack up another uncontested three early in the shot clock.
But don’t call the man fat.
ESPN’s Chris Broussard did, putting this in a summer look at the team:
For all the new faces, the Clippers will go only as far as veteran Baron Davis takes them…. Midsummer reports weren’t good, as sources said the 6-3 point guard was up to 260 pounds, 45 pounds above his listed playing weight.
260 lbs. < – faulty insider info… Hi hatersss! Lol
Photos of Davis from a recent Davis-sponsored charity event in Los Angeles posted on SBB confirm that the point guard looks pretty much at the weight and shape he played in last season. He certainly didn’t appear to be 260.
But Broussard was right about the first part — Davis is key to the Clippers chances. Blake Griffin will be back and should remind everyone why he was the No. 1 overall pick. Eric Gordon should step forward off his USA Basketball experience. Chris Kaman and the addition of Ryan Gomes gives the Clippers a quality front line.
But it all comes back to Davis. If he is loafing around the court and jacking up threes early in the shot clock, the Clippers are in trouble. It is the biggest task facing new coach Vinny Del Negro — getting Davis to buy in. Really buy in. Whatever his weight.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13