Aug 25, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
It’s been a good month to be Scottie Pippen.
First, he gets to bask in the spotlight of the Hall of Fame inductions, without the looming shadow of Michael Jordan in his way. Now, he gets his own statue outside the United Center. It will be unveiled at some point near the end of this upcoming season, according to the official release from the Bulls.
“Words really can’t express my feelings,” Pippen told Bulls.com. “It’s an unbelievable honor and truly amazing. It’s something you dream of as a kid growing up, but you can never foresee those childhood fantasies becoming reality. You see statues of individuals who have done great things and made their mark on history, but as a basketball player, you never really think about arriving at this point. It’s an amazing honor for the Chicago Bulls to do this for me.”
It’s a deserved honor, Pippen is at the heart of the Bulls legacy, right next to Jordan. He is guy with six rings, named one of the 50 greatest players of all time and is a Hall of Famer. A statue seems appropriate. And one not located where the shadow of the Jordan statue is cast across it at any point.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4