Aug 25, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
It’s been a good month to be Scottie Pippen.
First, he gets to bask in the spotlight of the Hall of Fame inductions, without the looming shadow of Michael Jordan in his way. Now, he gets his own statue outside the United Center. It will be unveiled at some point near the end of this upcoming season, according to the official release from the Bulls.
“Words really can’t express my feelings,” Pippen told Bulls.com. “It’s an unbelievable honor and truly amazing. It’s something you dream of as a kid growing up, but you can never foresee those childhood fantasies becoming reality. You see statues of individuals who have done great things and made their mark on history, but as a basketball player, you never really think about arriving at this point. It’s an amazing honor for the Chicago Bulls to do this for me.”
It’s a deserved honor, Pippen is at the heart of the Bulls legacy, right next to Jordan. He is guy with six rings, named one of the 50 greatest players of all time and is a Hall of Famer. A statue seems appropriate. And one not located where the shadow of the Jordan statue is cast across it at any point.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23