Aug 25, 2010, 5:33 PM EST
It’s been a good month to be Scottie Pippen.
First, he gets to bask in the spotlight of the Hall of Fame inductions, without the looming shadow of Michael Jordan in his way. Now, he gets his own statue outside the United Center. It will be unveiled at some point near the end of this upcoming season, according to the official release from the Bulls.
“Words really can’t express my feelings,” Pippen told Bulls.com. “It’s an unbelievable honor and truly amazing. It’s something you dream of as a kid growing up, but you can never foresee those childhood fantasies becoming reality. You see statues of individuals who have done great things and made their mark on history, but as a basketball player, you never really think about arriving at this point. It’s an amazing honor for the Chicago Bulls to do this for me.”
It’s a deserved honor, Pippen is at the heart of the Bulls legacy, right next to Jordan. He is guy with six rings, named one of the 50 greatest players of all time and is a Hall of Famer. A statue seems appropriate. And one not located where the shadow of the Jordan statue is cast across it at any point.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13