Aug 25, 2010, 10:26 AM EDT
This much we know: Erick Dampier will not be playing for the Charlotte Bobcats this season under his current $13 million contract.
Dampier’s contract is not guaranteed, meaning he can simply be waived and the money comes off a team’s payroll. That kind of contract has value a lot of places.
One of three things will happen with Dampier: The Bobcats will waive him then resign him at a lower price, which is what they wanted to do but talks stalled (leading to the Kwame Brown signing). They could just waive him and wave goodbye, then they save money but don’t get anything in return for a pretty big chip (this is the option the Miami Heat are hoping for).
Or, they could trade him to a team looking to save money by waiving him. That likely would not happen until after Sept. 13, when he can be part of multi-player deals (the delay is because he was just traded from the Mavericks to the Bobcats). Bobcats GM Rod Higgens told ESPN this is what he wants to do.
Right now, with Dampier on the books, the Bobcats have a payroll of $78 million, which is $8 million above the luxury tax line that owner Michael Jordan said they would not pay. So you can bet Dampier is coming off the books, the question is can they get some picks or less-expensive players back in a deal for Dampier. They clearly want something.
But you can be sure Dampier will not be playing for the Bobcats at that salary for a season.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14