Aug 25, 2010, 10:26 AM EST
This much we know: Erick Dampier will not be playing for the Charlotte Bobcats this season under his current $13 million contract.
Dampier’s contract is not guaranteed, meaning he can simply be waived and the money comes off a team’s payroll. That kind of contract has value a lot of places.
One of three things will happen with Dampier: The Bobcats will waive him then resign him at a lower price, which is what they wanted to do but talks stalled (leading to the Kwame Brown signing). They could just waive him and wave goodbye, then they save money but don’t get anything in return for a pretty big chip (this is the option the Miami Heat are hoping for).
Or, they could trade him to a team looking to save money by waiving him. That likely would not happen until after Sept. 13, when he can be part of multi-player deals (the delay is because he was just traded from the Mavericks to the Bobcats). Bobcats GM Rod Higgens told ESPN this is what he wants to do.
Right now, with Dampier on the books, the Bobcats have a payroll of $78 million, which is $8 million above the luxury tax line that owner Michael Jordan said they would not pay. So you can bet Dampier is coming off the books, the question is can they get some picks or less-expensive players back in a deal for Dampier. They clearly want something.
But you can be sure Dampier will not be playing for the Bobcats at that salary for a season.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 18
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 34
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (61)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)