Aug 24, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
New Hornets General Manager Dell Demps comes from the San Antonio organization, where among his duties was to be general manager for the Spurs D-League team the Austin Toros.
As such, he got a good look at Mustafa Shakur, the former Arizona point guard who lit it up for the Tulsa 66ers last season – 19.3 points and 6.9 assists per game. If you like your stats advanced, he had a PER of 22.
Those re the kind of numbers that should get you noticed. It did – Shakur has signed a partially guaranteed deal with the Hornets and Demps next season.
Point guard minutes with the Hornets are not going to be easy to come by. Chris Paul will get the lion’s share, with Marco Belinelli behind him. Still, Shakur is getting his shot, and that’s all he can ask for.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 3
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5