Aug 24, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
New Hornets General Manager Dell Demps comes from the San Antonio organization, where among his duties was to be general manager for the Spurs D-League team the Austin Toros.
As such, he got a good look at Mustafa Shakur, the former Arizona point guard who lit it up for the Tulsa 66ers last season – 19.3 points and 6.9 assists per game. If you like your stats advanced, he had a PER of 22.
Those re the kind of numbers that should get you noticed. It did – Shakur has signed a partially guaranteed deal with the Hornets and Demps next season.
Point guard minutes with the Hornets are not going to be easy to come by. Chris Paul will get the lion’s share, with Marco Belinelli behind him. Still, Shakur is getting his shot, and that’s all he can ask for.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7