Aug 24, 2010, 8:00 AM EST
New Hornets General Manager Dell Demps comes from the San Antonio organization, where among his duties was to be general manager for the Spurs D-League team the Austin Toros.
As such, he got a good look at Mustafa Shakur, the former Arizona point guard who lit it up for the Tulsa 66ers last season – 19.3 points and 6.9 assists per game. If you like your stats advanced, he had a PER of 22.
Those re the kind of numbers that should get you noticed. It did – Shakur has signed a partially guaranteed deal with the Hornets and Demps next season.
Point guard minutes with the Hornets are not going to be easy to come by. Chris Paul will get the lion’s share, with Marco Belinelli behind him. Still, Shakur is getting his shot, and that’s all he can ask for.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)