Aug 24, 2010, 3:51 PM EDT
Want to add to the conspiracy theory, anyone?
If anyone could add a new, quality center to their roster right now it would be Pat Riley, the magician who has been pulling rabbits out of his hat all summer long as it is.
Here’s how… and we’ll start with the facts.
The Charlotte Bobcats signed Kwame Brown yesterday (they also have Nazr Mohammed and DeSagana Diop under contract). That seals the fate for Erick Dampier, the center the Bobcats traded for this summer, sending Tyson Chandler out. Dampier has a non-guaranteed $13 million contract and new owner Michael Jordan has said he will not venture into the luxury tax. Waive Dampier and they are under the tax. Deal done.
That will make Dampier a free agent, and, well, Ira Winderman draws out the rest in the Sun Sentinel.
Enter the Heat, a team that currently features Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jamaal Magloire and Dexter Pittman at center.
Dampier arguably is better than all four…. he well could seek exception money or some left over cap space elsewhere, rather than the minimum that Ilgauskas and Magloire have accepted from the Heat.
But Pat Riley would have one bargaining chip that no other contender could offer:
“How would you like to be the starting center for a potential NBA championship team?”
It would be a one-year deal, after that the Heat could sign him again, under whatever terms the new collective bargaining agreement allows. But the Heat would have just upgraded their center position and brought in someone who can bang with Dwight Howard or the Boston front line.
The Heat would have gotten another great deal. Riley is a magician.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 23
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 30
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91