Aug 24, 2010, 9:25 PM EDT
What is it with nobody signing the contracts the Denver Nuggets are offering lately?
The Denver Nuggets have offered Suns executive David Griffin their general managers job, but the two sides are still negotiating money, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
A source close to the process said the holdup has everything to do with the perception of the position itself. With the Nuggets having let go of executives Mark Warkentien and Rex Chapman in early August, the increasingly-influential son of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, 30-year-old Josh, and team adviser Bret Bearup have taken lead roles when it comes to the team’s personnel. As such, the financial expectations as the Nuggets see them for this particular general manager position shouldn’t be on par with the rest of the league.
Josh Kroenke went and met with Carmelo Anthony last weekend to try and convince him to sign that other contract the Nuggets have sitting out there.
If what Amick reports is true, the Nuggets going to have a hard time filling that spot with a quality person — all the top flight guys would balk at making less money to work as the lackey to a 30-year-old owner. Even if Denver is convinced that is not the reality, that is how some (many?) will perceive it.
The bigger question is: With Melo watching this, what is he thinking this says about the future direction of the Nuggets?
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 0
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 55
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 25
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 14
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 45
- NBA salary cap jumps nearly $5 million next year to $63 million, luxury tax line $76.8 million 7
- Report: Carmelo Anthony to choose New York, announcement Thursday. Agent denies. 72
- Reports: It’s LeBron, agent, Pat Riley alone in a room Wednesday afternoon In Vegas 52