Aug 24, 2010, 9:25 PM EDT
What is it with nobody signing the contracts the Denver Nuggets are offering lately?
The Denver Nuggets have offered Suns executive David Griffin their general managers job, but the two sides are still negotiating money, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
A source close to the process said the holdup has everything to do with the perception of the position itself. With the Nuggets having let go of executives Mark Warkentien and Rex Chapman in early August, the increasingly-influential son of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, 30-year-old Josh, and team adviser Bret Bearup have taken lead roles when it comes to the team’s personnel. As such, the financial expectations as the Nuggets see them for this particular general manager position shouldn’t be on par with the rest of the league.
Josh Kroenke went and met with Carmelo Anthony last weekend to try and convince him to sign that other contract the Nuggets have sitting out there.
If what Amick reports is true, the Nuggets going to have a hard time filling that spot with a quality person — all the top flight guys would balk at making less money to work as the lackey to a 30-year-old owner. Even if Denver is convinced that is not the reality, that is how some (many?) will perceive it.
The bigger question is: With Melo watching this, what is he thinking this says about the future direction of the Nuggets?
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 3
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 20
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42