Aug 23, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Chris Bosh clearly went to school on Kevin Garnett.
KG stayed loyal for years to
Bosh didn’t wait. (Neither did LeBron, although there were other factors in play there.) Sports Illustrated asked him what role loyalty should have in free agency and the answer was cold.
It should have none. Loyalty is an added bonus. It’s great that some guys want to be loyal, but you can be unhappy trying to be loyal, and there’s no reason to bring loyalty into the business room. … People have to look at it as a business. Fans get very wrapped around it because it’s a sport. And sports are a little different but they’re businesses first and that’s how we have to choose sometimes. Sometimes people understand, sometimes people don’t.
What fans expect is their loyalty to be respected, and returned in some degree. That means sticking through some tough times, like the fans did in
The NBA is a business, and players have to treat it as such. The NBA business machine will spit out players that are not performing and cast them to the side regardless of situation. There is noloyalty there. Fans have to realize that, too; they have to understand the harsh realities of the business from the player’s perspective.
But to say loyalty has no place suggests that maybe the fans loyalty should be the same way. And then what would be the fun of sports fandom? Or sports period.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29