Chris Bosh says loyalty is for suckers

Aug 23, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for bosh-heat.jpgChris Bosh clearly went to school on Kevin Garnett.

KG stayed loyal for years to Minnesota while the quality of players around him disintegrated. Until the losing got to be too much. Eventually he forced his way out, landed in Boston with other superstars, won a title and now goes on the record saying he should have done it all earlier.

Bosh didn’t wait. (Neither did LeBron, although there were other factors in play there.) Sports Illustrated asked him what role loyalty should have in free agency and the answer was cold.

It should have none. Loyalty is an added bonus. It’s great that some guys want to be loyal, but you can be unhappy trying to be loyal, and there’s no reason to bring loyalty into the business room. … People have to look at it as a business. Fans get very wrapped around it because it’s a sport. And sports are a little different but they’re businesses first and that’s how we have to choose sometimes. Sometimes people understand, sometimes people don’t.

What fans expect is their loyalty to be respected, and returned in some degree. That means sticking through some tough times, like the fans did in Toronto with Bosh — only to be told their loyalty doesn’t really matter. That’s not how Bosh meant it, but it is how it can be perceived.

The NBA is a business, and players have to treat it as such. The NBA business machine will spit out players that are not performing and cast them to the side regardless of situation. There is noloyalty there. Fans have to realize that, too; they have to understand the harsh realities of the business from the player’s perspective.

1. DK Anderson - Aug 23, 2010 at 3:01 PM

“Chris Bosh says loyalty is for suckers”
    Except, of course, he said no such thing. That idiotic headline made Bosh’s admittedly cold remarks seem far, far worse than they actually were. Sensationalistic, trash journalism at its “finest.”

2. M.Fox - Aug 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Is this the same Bosh who ripped Toronto fans a new one, when the Booed not just him but the team for a very very poor game?
    He spoke of loyalty then and how we didn’t show any, Oh Bosh how you confuse a fan. This must just be for entertainment purposes right?

3. Fox News - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM

The Paradigm must shift…..people need to start hitting these so called news people in the pocket book. Sue the bastards for twisting and outright lying about what people say…….Bosh said nothing about “Loyalty are for suckers” This new type of media is bad for everyone except for the clowns that are taking liberty with what folks say……Let’s start making it bad for the likes of Kurt Helin….I hope Bosh take him to court and donate the proceeds to some charity….This tabloid, yellow belly media culture must be beheaded…..

4. Anonymous - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Your language shows your ignorance.

5. bygracealone - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Response to Rick James.
    You are obviously a moron. Perhaps they shouldn’t have brought Africans over to America to do the work of lazy white people.

6. Rofl - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM

So is the “News Station” in your name/title your best example of such journalism? If so, Bravo on the move. The sad thing is you probably don’t think people like Glenn Beck and the rest of Fox News are “twisting and outright lying” after seeing you try to lay down “taking liberty” in your rant. Kurt is just trying to be like Florio with titles that get clicks, nothing to see here.

7. hemlock09 - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Kurt, I’m pretty surprised at this sentence:
    “But to say loyalty has no place suggests that maybe the fans loyalty should be the same way. And then what would be the fun of sports fandom? Or sports period.”
    Not only do I not expect the athletes I follow to be loyal to me, I’d question the mental maturity of anybody who did. I naturally assume that any overtures of loyalty is just bullcrap anyway. They don’t know me from anybody, how could I reasonably expect loyalty?
    Kobe is a narcissitic semi-psychotic self-absorbed possible-rapist. That said, I pay good money to watch the dude play basketball. I don’t expect him to like me or be loyal to me or acknowledge me, if I did you could rightfully question my mental wellbeing and level of social awareness. He doesn’t know me, will never know me, and we’ll both be better off for it.
    I don’t hate him, I just want to watch him play basketball. Same with Bosh and Wade and LeBron.
    I guess sports journalism must be more lucrative if you try to take the perspective of your apparent reader base, and maybe you’re just off the mark here. I for one would love it if you’d just stick to giving me your analysis of how these guys play ball. You’re pretty good at that. You’re pretty horrible at guessing what I care about otherwise.

8. Seymour - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I’m one of the baddest motherf*ckers of all time, one of the best singers and one of the best looking motherf*ckers you’ve ever seen. Hold my drink, biotch

9. whutevr - Aug 23, 2010 at 4:51 PM

yknow its amazing to me that everyone is ripping the journalist for extrapolating an articale title from what bosh said after reading what he said i too could condense what he said to that title, basically bosh is saying there is no such thing as loyalty as a fan or a player, but he is wrong without the fans to buy the tickets and memorabilia he would be just another out of work american, it is we the fans that make him a star and it is we the fans that keep them up on a pedastal, right or wrong, and @ hemlock09 i whole heartedly agree with most of what you said but the things you siad about kobe well that goes for just about every single bball player in the game today just some dont have teh talent to back it up, and because kobe is that great hes always on the firing line taking shots, to all pro bball players just remember without the fans you dont have a job

10. sal - Aug 23, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Kobe dropped 81 on Bosh, enough said.

11. Evan - Aug 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

The NBA stinks. Almost as much of a joke as the NHL. Can’t wait for College Bball to start up again…

12. mclovin - Aug 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM

WELL CHRIS BOSH IS CORRECT . NBA IS A BUSINESS
    IF U DONT SCORE U WILL NOT PLAY . IF U DONT PLAY
    U WILL NOT BE ON THE TEAM . I UNDERSTAND LOYALTY AND STAYING WITH ONE TEAM . ASK SIR CHARLES BARKLEY ,SHAWN KEMP ,DOMINIC WILKINS
    ,PATRICK EWING ,ABOUT LOYALTY = NO RINGS

13. travis - Aug 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I hope this cat never has kids.and after that comment if i was family i would never trust him again.He is almost a big a scumbag as LBJ is

14. Anonymous - Aug 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Just Sarcasm…..Fox news is the number one offender

15. tdot11 - Aug 23, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Chris Bosh, doing his best to follow in every one of Lebron James’ footsteps. Why make even more people hate you? shut your mouth and go practice it. It will be a long season for you, and not championship long either.

16. Rick James - Aug 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM

“I wish I had more hands, so I could give those titties four thumbs down!”

17. flowerpot - Aug 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM

A player can be as loyal as the word implies; but if management, for whatever reason, decides to trade or cut him/her it is a done deal. Or you of those who thinks that of all the traded or cut players, none of them felt loyal? Most players have very little input into where they play/work. The question, from a sports writer who really should know better, was actually stupid.
    Some of the most loyal players, when viewed by their contributions to the teams’ success, has been shocked to learn they had been traded.
    The Los Angeles Lakers’ came about as close as you will ever see a team display loyalty to a player in the case of Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Otherwise such sentiment is nonexistant.

18. Anonymous - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I have trouble with someone simply telling us that we as fans should realize that loyalty is on the lower rungs of the free agency ladder. Sports is very much a fantasy world, and learning that someone who showed soo much heart for 6 years at max dollars is just doing it for “the business” I would literally be in a cold depression if Kobe decided to just dip on a whim’s notice, and that’s what partly makes me such a huge Lakers fan: that KB’s signing was destiny, and he didn’t and doesn’t belong on any other team. So if you want basketball to be nothing more than a business to fans, be prepared to lose them, cause nobody likes to watch business meetings.

19. Anonymous - Aug 24, 2010 at 12:27 AM

20. bull's fan inMA - Aug 24, 2010 at 2:42 AM

He didn’t say that loyalty was for suckers. But it can be. NBA players contracts are generally guaranteed unlike football. Bottomline–sports are jobs and businesses and need to be treated as such by the players. Fans ,in their personal lives, should treat their jobs like a business–if a better opportunity for greater personal satifaction and equal or more pay money comes along, like Miami for Bosh, you should take it.Life for all of us is too short!

21. Brandan - Aug 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM

why people can’t get it, business is not only dollars or payrates. Miami is a very good market, especially for a player who its been begging for spotlight. or have you forgotten how Bosh almost didn’t make the all-star game in 06 just because he wasn’t famous enough. This is a business depending on where you stand, cause if he becomes a free agent and the team does not want to re-sign him probably you are gonna say that he sucks or that is not worth keeping him, then you’ll say “Sorry is just business”. Well this time you got the flip side of the coin, and this time is the player who is leaving because of business. What defines a true loyal person? staying in a team just because they gave you the chance to play? Shy people forget Bosh is close friends with LBJ and Wade? Maybe he decided to stay loyal to his friends. And who are we to demand loyalty when is him who is gonna retire without rings just because we wanted him to be loyal. As far as I concern I keep blaming Ramptors managent for not handling Bosh’s case the right way and killing his will to play there for years to come. Hedonism Turkoglu itself said he didn’t quit on the Raptors, that said the guy stayed loyal. Are the fans loyal to their local teams? First ask how many fans the Lakers have out of LA.

22. pjmjfan - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM

“First ask how many fans the Lakers have out of LA.” …just as many as Boston, Miami, New York, etc. Sadly, sports “business” now matches real world business. That’s what stinks. The NBA, NBPA, and owners have allowed things to spiral out of control. As we all know, the disease has infected nearly every mainstream professional sport in the US. Sports used to be purely about the competition, but the added commercial/corporate element is driving a wedge between the fans and the sports. Whether it’s just being able to afford to see a game, or simply believing a superstar when he/she claims they love a city and will truly live up to the implied and perceived loyalty to that fan base, modern sports is losing touch with the definition of “sports”. Bosh is right. It’s all business these days. These young athletes are quickly conditioned to understand this truth, so maybe we shouldn’t fault them for being products of their environment.

23. jeff - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM

By twisting what bosh actually said, this writer himself is not showing any loyalty to his craft or his readers. I guess journalistic integrity is for suckers!

24. Brandan - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM

When I used the Lakers as an example I didn’t mean they are the only one or in a despective way, but I’m sure you got my point. Many posts here tried to say that they betrayed the “loyal” fans when fans are often less loyal than we think. We havery the liberty to pick a new favorite every time we want, but they don’t, they can’t switch team at will so he have to pick the closest thing to a wining formula according to his I.Q. standards. He did it the right way, cause sadly sports is more business than anything else these days, but for good or bad he have to evolve with his enviroment, so I give thumbs up to his. I don’t know why, but people should first.ally understand as said for commentators, analysts, N.B.A and ex-N.B.A. players, a free agent is free of playing whereever he wants and no one can hold grief on that.

25. jeff - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches